Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone tried the OnOne Slackset?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

On a c456

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

No?

Northwind

Yup. Well, kinda, mine is an original Works rather than a Slackset. But same thing.

I took 2 degrees off mine… Changes it a lot, and did make it more to my taste with not much drawback. A bit like a carbon summer season. It does exactly what you’d expect, except that people always say it’ll make it climb worse- actually it made mine climb better, I assume because it’s longer and the weight distribution is a little different (it moves the forks forwards, effectively, and drops the BB fractionally)

Hmmmmm. Ya know, I need to sell that frame, I could seperate out the headset if you’re interested 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theroadwarrior
    Free Member

So how do these angle adjust headsets work? Presumable is pushes the lower race forward somehow to change the angle between the upper and lower race, do they only work in 1.5″ head tubes with 1.125″ steerers or is there some other magic going on?

Northwind

Nearly… You’re right that they offset the races, but they can work in most headtubes, Works do one for a standard headtube now.

andyl
    Free Member

They just tilt and displace the bearings to give a new angle. Obviously you need the room to get the angle you want and semi-integrated headsets have a lot less room so external ones are best. The headset needs to be machined according to the headtube height to keep the centre points inline.

Northwind and james – what size are your frames? I’m on a 16″ which has a very short headtube 🙁

Northwind

Mine is a medium. Proper sized bike 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Is that the 16″ ‘medium’ or the 18″ one? 😀 I swear 16″ used to be the Inbred medium and 20″ the XL but they’ve ditched 14″ now for the carbon ones due to the tooling costs. My 16″ is pretty much the same size as my medium Yeti 575. Infact the Yeti is a couple of mm shorter.

Northwind

18. I used to have a 16 scandal and calling it a medium would be mad, frankly, it was pretty much your classic small.

andyl
    Free Member

That’s what Thomson 410mm seat posts are for! 😀

I guess you could also change the geometry with some new rear swapouts but you will slacken off the seat tube. Bit easier than changing a headset though!

Northwind

I had a 400mm seatpost in it but that meant I ended up sat behind the rear wheel 🙂

Doing it with dropouts would have to lower the bike pretty significantly, not sure how well that’d work. Interesting thought though.

andyl
    Free Member

The slackset is better as it actually steepens the seat tube. which is probably why you found it better at climbing.

16″ with a long post or 18″ with a short post shouldn’t change your position in relation to the back wheel much as the seat post angle is the same, as is the chainstay length and so is your height relative to the cranks. Only change is the extra 9mm of effective top tube length on the 18″

Northwind

Yep, I know, that was ye exaggeration for comic effect. It was a nice bike though, but not very suited to the job I was asking it to do (ie, be a Cotic Soul). i keep nearly buying a medium one to run rigid.

andyl
    Free Member

Still want to try a Soul.

Mugboo

2 degree slackset here on my c456. It was to replace a summer season so seemed only right 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried the OnOne Slackset?’ is closed to new replies.