Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone tried sticky backed neoprene as a chain stay protector?
  • squealingbrakes
    Free Member

Just ordered some 50mm x 3mm neoprene off ebay as a chain stay protector. Only 70p /ft! Got a Orange 5 type swingarm and sticking a strip to the under and inside of swingarm seems to be less unsightly than a large wrap round band. Not sure how it will stick, and stand up to mud and wet, but I’ve read on here people using sticky velcro instead.

project
    Free Member

The glue will most probably be wweakend by the lubricant on the chain, along with your feet catching it, with the tube sort it can revolve

AD

I’ve done much the same thing on my Turner – seems to be holding up well so far.

takisawa2

Couldn’t you slide some innertube over it, & cut out the visible side.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Road bar tape works very well and can be had without a gluey line down the middle. It’s also available in most colours as well as clear: no glue issues and weighs nowt!

edhornby

innertube, wrap and cable tie each end – pikeytastic

JoeG
    Free Member

As I said on another thread “Use Scotch 2228 Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape. It’s a black rubber tape, I found out about it from Mountainbike Action’s Jan 2012 issue. I was able to buy it at Lowes home center in the US, but its available online http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-2228-Rubber-Mastic-Electrical/dp/B001ULCB64”

buttercup
    Free Member

550 cord.

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

The 2228 tape looks interesting – but hard to get hold of.

I’ll wait till the neoprene turns up and give it a go. I’ll be sticking it on top of helicopter tape, so if it needs to come off, it should leave the paint behind. I hope.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I’ve used the Velcro just recently t fitted perfect and thought it stuck down great, but after 3 soaking wet rides t had come off underneath, the inside of swing arm was stillvsecure but the underside had come undone….I’ve totally dried it and put some supercstrong super super glue under it this time and 1 equally wet ride it’s stayed on, it much better looking than a lizard skin thing and does a great job…getting it to stick is the main problem but so far my super glue is working a treat

soobalias
    Free Member

im still working my way through old inner tubes, carefully wrapped and cable tied at one end

pikeyalltheway

crofts2007
    Free Member

The Scotch 2228 tape is also known as self amalgamating tape, available in lots of places.
    Can’t say it matters about brand, as it will get chewed up anyway, but is easy to relace.

Screwfix link below.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/self-amalgamating-rubber-tape-black-19mm-x-10m/87717?cm_mmc=Google-_-Datafeed-_-Sealants%20and%20Adhesives-_-Self-Amalgamating%20Rubber%20Tape%20Black%2019mm%20x%2010m&gclid=CIidgKjarK0CFVQLfAod0AOzmA

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I find adhesive velcro works the best… Some disc brake cleaner on the frame first and wrap it up with masking tape overnight and it stays put for ages! On my 224 because the weld runs along underneath the swingarm i used some clear laquer along the edges and it worked perfect too 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Self amalgamating tape works if you have awkward shapes or corners to go round, but the chain still cuts it to shreds.

Sticky backed velcro works well also, but the chain will still go through it.

I use a combination of the two on my DH bike, on my little bike, Santa cruz kindly use some leather/rubber compound thats moulded into the swingarm on the Nomad & it does an awesome job – the bike is near enough silent.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried sticky backed neoprene as a chain stay protector?’ is closed to new replies.