Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone tried Speedriding?
  • thebunk

Like so:

Mrsbunk wants to give it a go for her 30th birthday. Has anyone tried it and lived to tell the tale? Looks like Les Arcs is the place to go.

(Meanwhile, thebunk himself will learning the snowplough…)

ir12daveor
    Free Member

It’s more commonly called Speed Flying, at least here in Switzerland where its gotten fairly popular in the last two years or so. I’ve seen it a good few times and spoken to a few people doing it. I also have friends that both Paraglide and Ski at a high level but believes Speed Flying is too dangerous!

As far as I have been told you should be able to fly a paragliding wing and ski at a very high level before attempting it. With paragliding altitude is safety, you have more time to get out of trouble is something goes wrong. With speed flying you don’t have altitude on your side and the wings move much faster then paragliding wings which means if something goes wrong its gonna happen faster with less time to react!

Why not try snow kiting instead unless your other half is already paragliding. Of course if she can already do both then there are schools which can teach her. I saw some people being thought in Davos, Switzerland last winter. I think it was the local paragliding school doing the teaching but I’m not 100% sure.

thebunk

Thanks for your reply. Good to know the actual name for it!

She’s done a course in Paragliding, and she can ski to pretty decent level – off piste, slalom racing etc. The paragliding course was a while ago though, and skiing has taken a back seat to mountain biking recently, so she was going to have a few off piste lessons to sharpen up.

Is there a singletrack for crazy ski-ers where there might be more people that have tried this?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ir12daveor
    Free Member

I’d say try to find some Euro based paragliding forums. They might have some info on it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is there a singletrack for crazy ski-ers where there might be more people that have tried this?

There was, but they’re all dead now.

stevomcd
    Free Member

La Rosiere has a big snow-kiting school, I believe they do speed flying as well.

Some loon was doing it down the piste at Sainte Foy last year. Can’t imagine getting away with that at Val d’Isere!

thebunk

There was, but they’re all dead now.

I suspected as much…

stevomcd, thanks for the tipoff about La Rosiere – looks like a nice resort for learners too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried Speedriding?’ is closed to new replies.