Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone tried Shimano A520 pedals?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

After some new pedals for my commuter and these seem pretty light at 310g. The alternatives I’ve found are the venerable M520.

cynic-al
    Free Member

no but the spd bit is the same, bound to work fine, though double sided seems to offer no disadvantages.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Or of you want the bigger body / support what about the m530 – for about £20 from ribble? On my mtb and seem good so far.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ds3000
    Free Member

I’m wondering whether the cage would offer any discernible difference when it comes to comfort and foot-spread.

wallop

I have them on my road bike and get on really well with them. Single sided no problem on long road rides but might get on your tits on a stops-start commute. Great support though – my knee pain disappeared after I fitted them.

CraigW
    Free Member

I think the larger platform does help a bit on longer rides, especially if you are using cheap/flexy shoes. Though it will depend on the shoes, and how much of the tread is actually supported on the cage.

I’ve got the A530 pedals, which are a similar thing, but a flat platform on one side. So handy if I want to use normal shoes.

druidh
    Free Member

As wallop says – single sided, so not the best for stop-start commuting.

I’d suggest CB Candies.

labsey
    Free Member

I think the larger platform does help a bit on longer rides, especially if you are using cheap/flexy shoes. Though it will depend on the shoes, and how much of the tread is actually supported on the cage.

I’ve got the A530 pedals, which are a similar thing, but a flat platform on one side. So handy if I want to use normal shoes.

I also run A530s which are pretty good. Handy to have the versatility. The flat side is ok, no pins so can be a bit slippery.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve got A530s on my touring bike, they are great pedals. I could ride comfortably in flip flops with them. Best of both worlds, super durable, mine have done about 7000 miles (not all wearing flip flops!)

teasel
    Free Member

Been using a pair for about three years now. Good support with the right shoe – I use some Spesh Sonoma and Trail 120 and Sidi Diablo – all of which have enough recess to take advantage of the extra support that’s lacking in many other Shimano pedals. Have no probs clipping in and out around town as suggested above; they’re bottom-heavy and are easy to ‘kick’ into place once you’re familiar with the technique.

If you want something a tad lighter (286g) have a gander at the A600. Haven’t tried it but I have a pair waiting to go on a new build.

continuity
    Free Member

M530’s are the bomb

winston_dog
    Free Member

I use them on my road bike and commuter.

I get on well with them, saves having too many different pairs of shoes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried Shimano A520 pedals?’ is closed to new replies.