Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone tried satnav on a smartphone??
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

£5 month and can cancel whenever, going away next week around Devon, thought it might be handy and save me shelling out £70 or so. Is it any good, orange by the way if that makes any difference?

boxelder

Yes, used navigation on Android.
    OK, but I prefer maps. Useful in cities.
    Kills the battery quickly

wrightyson
    Free Member

Got in car charger and only planned to use it whilst driving. For the sake of a fiver I’ll give it a whirl!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve used google maps on an android phone for a while and that’s never let me down (other than when the phone over heats and shuts down) but the sat nav software has been spot on.

tron
    Free Member

Google maps on Android 2.1 or better is fine. Not quite as good as a real Tom Tom for some things (lane notification doesn’t exist), but better for finding the place you want to get to etc.

downshep

Not normally a fan of distraction devices in cars but did have reason to use Google Navigation, which came free on my Android phone, to find an address I’d never heard of in a town I barely knew. Got me there perfectly, including recalculating the route when I deviated onto a brand new section of motorway. Well impressed. Just make sure you plug it into the 12V socket, quite a power hungry app.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s on a win7 samsung phone so not android. It’ll be the mrs doing the sat naving to me from the phone, I hate anything up on the dash or the screen. Just booked it and seems pretty good but that’s whilst in the house! 😆 Strangely won’t work If wifi is switched on??

docrobster
    Free Member

Tomtom app for iPhone is £40 and works well free map updates and doesn’t use data do free to use abroad.

scaredypants

navfree is, err, free and works pretty well
    uses downloaded maps so not dependent on data connection

download it & have a quick look at the area you’re going to – should be obvious if the map is deficient

Edit: Ah, I see – doubt navfree will be on windows (yet) anyway

wrightyson
    Free Member

Windows struggled with eBay! It’s one whole pile of shit!! I was lured by the promise of great things!!

morgs
    Free Member

I’ve used google maps on an android phone for a while and that’s never let me down (other than when the phone over heats and shuts down) but the sat nav software has been spot on.

This

millcar
    Free Member

Great on samsung galaxy but as has been said itll drain your battery so keep in powered up.

gunner
    Free Member

I love the satnav on my Nokia E72 smartphone. Its free, its turn by turn doesn’t use any data connection/bandwidth – just uses the built in GPS, and way better than Andriod/GMaps which are not turn by turn. The phone lasts ages as well without recharging.

giantonagiant

I’ve got co pilot live on my HTC. It was free and has worked with no problems at all. I think you may have to pay for it now?

allthegear
    Free Member

I have TomTom on my iPhone 4, plugged into my Parrot hands free and it is a very good combination. I also paid the extra for the TomTom HD traffic and it’s magical how it keeps picking up traffic updates and really does keep you away from hold-ups.

You have to learn to believe what it is telling you, though. That took some doing – I’m not known for finding it easy taking directions from others…

Rachel

spacemonkey

Co-Pilot on iP4 for the last year or so. Cost about £25. No monthly fees.

Happily impressed overall. Makes the odd quirky decision but TBH I think I trust it in places I know nothing about.

joemarshall
    Free Member

and way better than Andriod/GMaps which are not turn by turn.

Yes they are. Turn by turn, reading out of road names, good pictures of intersections, integration into Google streetview so you see a picture of what where you’re heading at looks like, integration with Google traffic info so it tries to avoid traffic jams based on how the roads are now and predictions of what roads will be like when you hit them.

In a lot of ways, Google Sat nav on Android is way ahead of Nokia Sat nav. You are right that Google requires a data connection when you start driving, but wrong about the rest.

kayak23

Orange satnav is crap, frankly…….
    I used to use it. Got google maps now on a desire hd which is great and free too…

carbon337
    Free Member

NDrive Uk & Ireland £5 full app on iPhone 4 and 3Gs works a treat. 99% of the time i know how to get to a major city for example and only use it for the last 10 miles or so.

allthegear
    Free Member

Worth keeping an eye on the App Store as TomTom is regularly reduced in price.

Rachel

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried satnav on a smartphone??’ is closed to new replies.