Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone tried or using Gevenalle/ Retroshift, drop bar shifters?
  • tommid
    Free Member

Anyone got a set? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I kind of want some for my CX bike, but I’m not sure and dropping £150 plus to try them is a bit much.

I like the idea of an easy maintenance drop bar shifter that can handle long pull brakes. I run thumbies on my other bikes and love friction shifting for long rides.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Yeah I have the 1x short pull on my Ritchey. Works great, you can shift though a load of gears fast, indexes perfectly like a thumbie as you’d expect and none of that horrible flappy nonsene of Shimano sti.

I find they are much nicer / easier to use than it looks like they are going to be.

You can’t shift from the drops though is the only point worth noting

tommid
    Free Member

Cheer Restless. Bike looks great.

mick_r

Got some in the garage somewhere that we might sell sometime. Work fine but Mrs found the shift a little awkward with small hands so made me swap it to sti 🙂

They are the ones for 10 spd shimano mtb clutch mech, brake cable pull for both mtb and road brakes. Think we took out the road brake cable pull stops as they rattled if not using – can probably just swap one set of stops between the two positions if that makes sense.

john_l
    Free Member

Have a set of the original Retroshift ones – they were awful, couldn’t shift at all without having the levers pointing skywards. They may have fixed this, or YMMMV.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I think this probably means you’ll either love them or hate them 🙂

tommid
    Free Member

Mick_r if you want to sell your set let me know, I’m interested.

gevenalle
    Free Member

Gevenalle CX shifters are on version 4. These are a very different shifting experience to the original CX versions sold under the Retroshift brand. Most noteably we are now having shift levers made for us to our design. The older method of using a Shimnao shift lever was good in many ways but far less easy to shift. Feedback now is that CX shifters are as easy to shift as STI.

Here is one good page containing a review and also a number of rider comments:

http://theradavist.com/2015/07/well-used-gevenalle-gx-shifters-for-mountain-bike-derailleurs/

Hope this additional info is of benefit and thank you for discussing our products!

Cheers,

The Goats
    Gevenalle

cynic-al
    Free Member

love friction shifting for long rides.

Odd, is it no good on short rides?

tommid
    Free Member

Wow that may be the most STW reply ever Cynic-al. Yes equally good on short rides, but less issues with cables and dirt interference on short rides.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Thanks to john_l and a bit of advice from the goats my Mercian is in the process of getting Retroshift levers and a sturmey archer 5 speed bar end. Will be nice to have matching feeling shifters between that and my Ritchey.

TiRed

Love mine. If I was doing it again I’d get the v brake pull not road because my canti forks have brake shudder.

You can’t really shift on the drops, but I don’t shift as often off road anyway. Set up is simple and the shifting very positive

Mine runs 1×10 with a HOUP and BURD rear derailleur it all works beautifully.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried or using Gevenalle/ Retroshift, drop bar shifters?’ is closed to new replies.