Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone tried or have the 2017 Whyte G-160s?
  • mancian
    Free Member

Hi.

I love the look of this bike and the price is spot on for me.

I’ve read a few little write ups on it but just seeing if anyone in here has one or ridden one just to get a few more options on it.

Would like to know what you love about it.

Cheers

Ian

soundninjauk

I have a 2015 G-150. Totally untroubled by anything I’ve thrown at it (everything from Swinley Forest to full Yorkshire Dales days out). It’s a far more competent bike than I am rider, the extra 20mm travel over the T130 acts as a gigantic (and very useful) skills compensator for me.

Mainly I would describe it as calm, regardless of what you’re attempting to ride it down.

cokie

I recently test rode the G-160 S ’17- absolutely amazing bike! Nice and long with slack angles and short back end. Very playful bike and great spec for the money. Lots of tyre clearance and very well built- I had a T129 that had no issues despite riding in all weather and giving it stick. Paint is also durable. I settled for the T130 RS as i didn’t need the extra travel.

Get a test ride booked, you won’t regret it!

mancian
    Free Member

Cokie, how did you find the rear shock with it just having rebound adjustment? I’d like more options like lockout etc.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Defo get a test ride, I bought the works 2016 and sold it 3 months later, just couldn’t get on with it. There are a couple of folk where I live who have them and can’t say enough about how good they are but I found it sluggish and it’s climbs like crap. You’ll need to accept the fact that pedal strikes will be a regular occurrence.
    Well made, great spec and look lovely though.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i test rode 2016 one and liked it; more than the 130 which gets the rave reviews.

I found it sluggish and it’s climbs like crap

i thought it climbed well for a 160mm bike.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Fair comment Thomthumb, think I was just very disappointed in it as a whole. “Climbs like crap” is maybe a little unfair,I just noticed that even when set up properly you had to consciously time your pedaling to prevent pedal strikes on climbs, also when putting in the odd crank on descents.
    I spoke to Trev from Enduro mag about his long term test 160 as I was struggling to get mine setup right and he put it rather succinctly.

“great for flat out shenanigans!”

That about sums it up. Tech climbing and tight stuff, not so much.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried or have the 2017 Whyte G-160s?’ is closed to new replies.