Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone tried Optilabs Photochromic cycling glasses ?
  • Raindog
    Free Member

Optilabs have sent me three sample frames to try (I need prescription glasses) but the only lenses they offer are tinted. As I want to ride at night I need a clear lens, I rang and spoke to them and they suggested photochromic. My only experience with these is thirty years ago when they took ages to change, anyone tried riding with them recently and if so how do you get on with them please ?

votchy
    Free Member

Had photochromic optilabs glasses about 4 years ago, the transition time was ok riding through forests going from light to shade, the problem I had with them was the lens scratched very easily to the point they were unwearable after about 10 months.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I night ride with the photo chromatic and they are OK

the biggest problem is rain, its causes the lens to mottle if it’s bright.

they do scratch easily and are over priced as are all glasses

Alphabet

I’ve been riding with them for a few years. I’d agree with both of the above posts although mine have lasted a few years. I’m about to order another pair so I’d recommend them.

TPTcruiser

I don’t ride through as many low hanging trees as the above, so mine are still good after four years. Agree with the mottle with rain effect. They were my only pair of specs for about 10 months, good in daily use and almost contact lens like field of vision in the wrap compared to regular glasses.

BeardedDave
    Free Member

I really like mine. I’ve had them 3 or 4 years now. Have no complaints with how quickly they change from light to dark and back again. As mentioned about, mine are a little easy to scratch – having said that, this may have been sorted on the newer lenses, as it does now say on their website that they have an ‘anit-scratch layer as standard’. Not sure if that was the case when I bought mine.

dave360

I had two pairs from Optilabs and they were pretty good, although they did get scratched after, to be fair, quite a bit of use. My current riding spex is a prescription frame from Dirty Dog – they do a better choice of frames, and cost less. The seem more scratch resistant too.

Rickos
    Free Member

Got mine from RX Sport and they’ve been great – I think they’re pukka Transition lenses. I night ride in them and they’re fine going from sunny fire road to dark woods. Used them since 2007.

steveoath
    Free Member

I used them up until my prescription changed. Good value, but the transition took an age. I’ve got Oakley Flak Jacket xlj now and to say the transition from clear to dark is quick is an understatement!!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Hi Pat

I have Rudy Project photocromic lenses in my riding glasses. they are excellent. Can’t say you notice the change really, it’s quite subtle but is enough to cope with moving into wooded areas etc

pistola
    Free Member

I have photocromatic prescription glasses from Optilabs. Generally happy with them although they darken/lighten pretty slowly and not to the dark/clear extremes I had hoped for. The polarising effect can sometimes make wet tarmac look a bit weird if the sun’s shining.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair photochromatic Optilabs – they’re fine. After going from frames with optical inserts (Eassun, then lots of pairs of Adidas Evil Eyes and Gazelles) they are / were a revelation, and very good value as far as I was concerned. I night ride with them, sail in them, the lot. No scratches after two years, and I used to scratch up my Adidas lenses and inserts all the time. The only downer is that, as car windscreens are UV shielded, they don’t work when I’m driving.

I think I’d be pretty likely to buy a permanently tinted pair to supplement them in future, but they’re very good as far as I’m concerned. I bought them about two years ago, if that helps.

Raindog
    Free Member

Thanks all. I spoke to Optilabs again today and they use the Transition 6 lenses, so should be as good as any other frame that uses these. If they scratch badly in a year or so I’ll get them reglazed in a clear and carry on.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried Optilabs Photochromic cycling glasses ?’ is closed to new replies.