Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone tried fixing a Shimano XTR Shifter Pod 9sp M970
  • sleigh62
    Free Member

Dear all
    I've got a right hand shifter that isn't working too well. Before I fork out for a replacement has anyone ever tried fixing one and is there any info available on line?
    The basic problem is it shifts into easier gears under tension no problem but on the final couple of shifts coming back down tends to skip over a couple at a time.
    can anyone help?

steve

bigyinn
    Free Member

Take the covers off for starters and give it a good soaking with WD40 or similar, clean it out as best you can and have a look at the little ratchet in there (if you can) if there are chipped teeth is goodbye vienna.
    Hopefull its just a bit of grit stuck on the ratchet wheel.

coatesy
    Free Member

Usually dried out grease causing the pawl to stick on it's pivot, can be lubed with GT85 or similar, and worked free by hand.It's a bit of a lottery just spraying through the cable exit and hoping, best to open it up, you can check for the aforementioned damage too.

sleigh62
    Free Member

thanks chaps
    they had got a bit gunked up on the outside . didn't think it could have got inside as well …… will try opening it up and giving it a good clean. Hopefully it will do the trick and there hasn't been any damage.

thanks again

steve

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you can't get it working I have an internal assembly for a right hand M970 shifter that had a couple of months use. I crashed and wrecked the upper cover and bar clamp so replaced the whole lever. It has been sitting in my spares box for a while so make me a sensible offer.

mark.pearson@madison.co.uk

sleigh62
    Free Member

Thanks to all above … cleaned it out yesterday and seems to be working fine …. will road test it over next few days.
    Thanks Mister P ……. if for any reason its not fixed properly will get in touch.

thanks
    steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried fixing a Shimano XTR Shifter Pod 9sp M970’ is closed to new replies.