Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone tried Continental Baron tyres in the cheapo rubber version
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Anyone tried the £16 wire bead versions that aren’t black chilli?

Have Cnntinental improved their rubber compound since their reputation for being lethal in the wet?? I’m looking for a cheap fairly sturdy tyre that will be ok in the winter mud and also good on loamy Alps trails in the summer.

£40-£50 a tyre doesn’t appeal that much, so was wondering about the wire bead versions with standard rubber.

Can anyone compare to Kenda Nevegals?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im using one on the back at the moment. Seems to grip pretty well in most conditions, even sloppy mud. Grips very well on loamy stuff too.
    £15 at nextdaytyres.com

alfabus
    Free Member

i’ve got a pair on my covert… they size up quite small, but impressive grip and clearance in the mud – not really tried them on any slippy rocks yet though.

Dave

Grupper205
    Free Member

I’ve also got one on the rear which I’m really impressed with. However, I did have a bit of an off when trying to jump off the last section of board walk near me……as I lifted my front wheel to drop off the end, my bike went clean from underneath me!

Apart from that, they handle the sloppy stuff well.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So they could be a bit slippy on wet wood then?

Sounds good other than that

bigyinn
    Free Member

But what tyre would be any good on wet slippy wood?

J273
    Free Member

Was looking at one of these myself as a back tyre….Anyone tried mounting one on stans flows tubeless?

danjthomas
    Free Member

Run one of these up front and the grip was awsome in the mud on my local boggy trials. At a trail centre it felt heavy even upfront but if your going for gloopy ride a pair of these would be very good.

Northwind

The Chili version’s very good- I’d say comparable overall to a stick-e Nevegal, better in mud as you’d imagine but worse on hardpack, but comparable. Wasn’t very impressed with the non-chili version, it shovels well but felt pretty slippy on anything that wasn’t mud.

MrSmith
    Free Member

spend the money on good tyres, why pay for a cycling holiday and use crap tyres?

supertacky
    Free Member

Been running them since october and can only praise them. Great in mud/loam pretty fast on hardpack. Can only imagine that the softer compound ones will be even better, but I’d only bother for the front. For £15 each their a bargain.

supertacky
    Free Member

Mr Smith – just because they’re cheap doesnt mean their crap and likewise why spend tonnes of cash on tyres that are crap?

float
    Free Member

crc are selling chilli verticals for £22 quid at the moment. i always found my non chilli version pretty good in the mud.

tomaso
    Free Member

These aren’t crap but they are cheap crc michelin
    I’m having a bit of Michelin tyre love thing at the moment and have forsaken the Maxxis

MrSmith
    Free Member

why spend tonnes of cash on tyres that are crap?

can’t answer that as i never have.
    would rather spend a reasonable amount on excellent tyres (like a 2.2 rubber queen black chilli) compared to the cost of a bike and what i value my riding time at they are worth every penny.
    if i was on a budget then a reasonable weight/compound maxxis would be my choice, but the contis roll fast/have better grip due to the higher tpi carcass that the cheaper ones don’t have. (it’s not just the compound)

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Tomaso, are the Michelins any good in the mud? I found the xc versions a bit skittsh on hard ground and not brillient when it got soft.

Is the 2.4 quite large or are they undersized?

MrSmith
    Free Member

they weigh a kilo each 😯

al

They indeed to weigh a kilo (1030 grams mine) but they clear well so I figure I’m saving on the mud carrying 😉 Plus really, they are not a tyre for gram counters, they are a tyre for riders.

forexpipz
    Free Member

I got two of the wire versions mounted to stans flow rims tubed. They would be amazing tyres with the one major exception. They have serious wobble in them. Been on for a month and I cannot get rid of it no matter what. Sta y clear coz they are difficult as hell to mount without lube and are very draggy but super grippy and confidence inspiring. Great for ragging all over on downhill sections but not much else unless you like to torture yourself at high psi.

olly2097
    Free Member

I have them on my gt hardtail.

*very narrow for the size.
    *lots of wobble in a true set of wheels.
    *pain in the arse to remove, tight fit!
    *not good on wet rocks/roots.

*good in the mud.
    *at the right psi they roll well
    *cheap.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried Continental Baron tyres in the cheapo rubber version’ is closed to new replies.