Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • Anyone tried changing their own car tyres?
  • davidjones15
    Free Member

Always half measures molgrips.
    Feast your eyes on this.

jota180
    Free Member

Why don’t you just go and wait outside the tyre place at going home time and see if you can put the bite on one of the fitters to do it for pocket money?

piemonster

That machine mart tool looks like it’s got more sense than the strategically shaved Gorillas that work in my local Kwik Fit

freeagent
    Free Member

I changed quite a few on my old Landrovers (steel rims) I wouldn’t touch car tyres on alloy rims though..

TheBrick
    Free Member

What about this for a bead breaker?

I’d say no. I’ve broke a tyre bead with a bolster and and a lump hammer before (more or less what you’re proposing there) due to emergency in the middle of France and it is tough. You need some sort bead breaker with a long lever. Even with that you still regularly have to move round the tyre a bit at a time.

flap_jack
    Free Member

In 1974 my dad bought a Moskvich. It came with two enormous tyre levers and the trackpump from hell. No doubt in Russia it was expected that you would be changing tyres yourself.

Needless to say, we had a go.

Once.

And there are threads on here about getting tubeless bike tyres to seal…

molgrips
    Free Member

And there are threads on here about getting tubeless bike tyres to seal…

Yeah but I never have any trouble with that 🙂

Looks like the gear would cost me £250 ish.. so maybe I’ll just pay the man this time..

Houns

Lols @ this thread

Most stwers can’t fit a UST tyre properly on their bikes yet happy to change their own car tyres 😆

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

You need to buy a cheap set of rusty old steelies to mount your 8 winter tyres on, go to your local quickfit type place with tyres and rims in your boot and ask if they want to do a quick cash guvvie. 20 quid will probably change hands for the swap. Have used this method a few times. I do an 80 mile commute, 5 days a week in North Yorkshire. Trust me, you dont need winter tyres in the uk. Just learn to drive 😉

landcruiser
    Free Member

Just go into some local tyre places near you… Be nice, tell em your dilemma wave a few pound notes (yes I know ! ) and I’m sure you will get some decent offers. No really !

davidjones15
    Free Member

wave a few pound notes and I’m sure you will get some decent offers. No really !

Do you think this will work for having the tyres changed too?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Be nice, tell em your dilemma wave a few pound notes (yes I know ! )

you know what? that we dont have pound notes any more?

Northwind

We do in civilisation

maccruiskeen

We do in civilisation

when did you last get one in your change though? – I’ve not seen one for years

nealglover
    Free Member

For the Prius : http://bit.ly/TJW1Tz

For the Passat : http://bit.ly/PV4m8S

Job done.

You need to pay the initial cost, but its less than what you said you are currently spending every year to change them.

JoeG
    Free Member

I really really want to see video of a STW’er trying to seat a tubeless mountain bike tire with fire like those guys from South America!

Somebody, please try it! 😀

zokes
    Free Member

I’ve long wished for a compressor for a variety of reasons, so this coul dbe a good excuse.

Weird – I thought this entire thread existed because you didn’t have the money to pay someone else to do it. Yet now you’re happy to spend loads on an expensive tool that you won’t need if you just paid someone at a garage a few quid to do it for you. Strange logic.

br
    Free Member

FFS Just buy some spare rims, get tyres fitted – and its not like Molgrips is poor, based upon his other posts

And next time, buy them as a job-lot.

One thing made me chuckle though, a change your own car tyres post on a forum that pretty much ever week has a I can’t get a tyre on a Crest rim thread.

peterfile
    Free Member

The indie garage near me just fitted my winter tyres and stored my summers for free.

Picked up my car from the house and dropped it back off again that afternoon too.

🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

Owt over a tenner to swap tyres is just bending you over.

I had 2 sloweys fixed earlier this year, the price A WHOLE £8 EACH.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Houns – Member
    Lols @ this thread

Most stwers can’t fit a UST tyre properly on their bikes yet happy to change their own car tyres

No, just the OP.

irelanst
    Free Member

For the last few years we’ve been running a set of winter tyres (Goodyear UltraGrip) all year. We do go over the border into Germany quite often so need them in the winter anyway but my thinking is, I’d rather have better grip in dodgy winter conditions than slightly worst grip in ideal summer conditions, they are better in the wet than summer tires which it is quite often here, they are on a C-Max so not exactly a performance car where the difference matters and the Dutch and Belgian ‘B’ roads are often un-surfaced sandy lanes so something with a more aggressive tread helps.

The first winter we fitted them the summer tyres were getting worn anyway so we just put them on the alloys, after the winter I looked into getting some more rims for a swap but it doesn’t make a lot of sense unless you can get really cheap rims. It makes no sense whatsoever to keep swapping the tires onto one set of rims, even if it costs a tenner per corner that’s 15% of the cost of a new tyre each time you change, and I don’t think that the winters wear 15% quicker than summers.

Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried changing their own car tyres?’ is closed to new replies.