Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Anyone tried a USB cycle hub charger ?
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

I am looking at one of these things to charge my iPhone while on the move.
    Seen one on Amazon that runs on the chain ? Not really sure if that’s what I want but maybe ?
    Let’s get this straight, I HATE riding on the road and have spent most of my cycling life off-road but my job is all on the road and I need my phone working all the time. Got 3 power banks but could do with less bits to carry around.
    Cheers guys

whitestone
    Free Member

Too much drag for the output really. The best solution is (endlessly repeating myself here) a hub dynamo. Very little drag – supposedly equivalent to a chocolate covered biscuit over the course of a day’s riding in energy – and reliable output. The good (i.e. expensive) ones aren’t that much heavier than a normal hub but even the basic Shimano ones aren’t noticeable.

MrAgreeable

That Amazon thing looks interesting – seems to be rock bottom build quality though.

Most people seem to use a combination of a dynamo hub and either a light with a built-in charger (B&M Luxos for example) or a stand-alone charger (e.g. Supernova Plug). Hub dynamo setups aren’t cheap but once you’ve used one it’s hard to go back.

An important point to note is that most people charge a backup battery rather than going direct to their device; that way you won’t fry your phone if the voltage smoothing goes awry. It does introduce extra weight and inefficiency though.

At the cheap end of the scale, I’ve used one of these and it seems OK, despite feeling a bit home-made. You need to be going >10mph to get anything out of it though.

http://www.adeptelectronics.co.uk/velohub.html

molgrips
    Free Member

Got 3 power banks

Surely you can get one that’s large enough to power an iPhone all day?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried a USB cycle hub charger ?’ is closed to new replies.