Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone tried a Specialized Romin saddle?
  • nedrapier

They're getting some good write-ups, seems the shape suits quite a lot of people.

It's being marketed as a road saddle primarily, so I've not been able to find much on suitability off road.

Anyone tried one off road? what did you think? And for perspective, what other saddles do you like/not like? I'm replacing a WTB lazer that's falling apart, but comfy.

Cheers,

Ed

scottishbadger
    Free Member

I've got one on my road bike – it's fantastic. I'd quite happily use it offroad as well. Have seen some photos online of them being used on a couple of pro XC bikes.

Thought about a Phenom? I've got one on my Epic and it's equally as good.

njee20
    Free Member

Also like my Phenom SL, rode a 12 hour solo on it with no problems. The Romin does look good, not had a chance to try one, but have only heard good things about them.

13thfloormonk

Got one on the road bike, very nice shape, and its pretty comfortable over 100 mile rides in the highlands, so must be at least OK on bumps!

Very thin/hard padding though.

nedrapier

have only heard good things about them.

Same.

I'll give one a whirl. Says something when the Saxobak team got to choose from Spec's range and they all plumped for the Romin.

Edit:

Very thin/hard padding though

That's the only think that's putting me off. Sounds like the shape's good enough that it's not much of an issue, though?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

The test rode a Tarmac with one on last week and it's one of the comfiest saddles i've sat on. Was going to get one for my Road Bike but opted against it and bought the Tarmac with it on instead. 😉 The one I tried was the wider 143 one.
    If I didn't have the SDG Bell Air on my mountain bikes then that would be my saddle of choice. HTH.

househusband

I've yet to hear of anyone else using one, nor even seen a review, but I'm immensely impressed with the BG Henge saddle I bought on a whim several months ago.

nedrapier

Right, Cheers all, I've give one a go and report back.

I've been sitting on a ruler and my sit bones are 113ish apart.

Anyone know how this corresponds to the Spec saddle width?

I found this posted elsewhere on the internet. Is it right?

The code on the back of the assometer specifies a 130 saddle for a sitbone center to center width of 100 mm or less, a 143 saddle for a sitbone center to center of 100 mm to 130mm and a 155 for a sitbone center to center of 130 or more.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I've got the SL on my best road bike and the vanilla Romin on the commuter. My sit bone measurement was 100mm I think, so I was right in the middle of the two versions. Initially I went for the 143mm but then swapped it for the 130mm, which is definitely better for me.

Done maybe two months on them now. Happy with them (used to run WTB Rockets). Hard/thin padding, as said, but a good shape. Not sure there's enough padding for MTBing though.

FuzzyWuzzy

I broke my Spesh BG Avatar a few weeks ago and wanted something different to replace it. Tried the Fizik Antares, Arione and Aliante and they were all great up to about 30 miles then started getting uncomfy, tried a Romin and although not initially as comfy as any of the Fiziks it didn't get any less comfy as time went on so I bought one. Not done much on it so far though so may still live to regret it. As for suitably off-road though I'm not sure, it's doesn't exactly look rugged so wouldn't advise it for a 'hefty' person on a hardtail but a lightish rider on a full suss I guess it would be fine.

nedrapier

Hmmm. I'm pretty skinny, and I don't tend to break stuff, so I'd be alright on that score.

Flip side is that I don't have much opadding of my own. It'd be nice to at least have a look at one, but I've not seen any int' shops.

molgrips
    Free Member

I'd go into a shop and sit on an assometer, if I were you.

FWIW I have a toupe on my roadie, and love it. But I have well padded Assos shorts.

Skid-Mark
    Free Member

I am testing a "toupe" on my road bike (lighter, stiffer and less padding) at the moment and have not got on. This post has convinced me to test the Romin.

nedrapier

Where do you guys go to test these saddles?

LBS? Evans? Borrowing friends'?

Mush
    Free Member

There are a few Specialized Concept stores around the country that have test saddles. I tried out a Romin from the West Ruislip store a couple of weeks ago and subsequently bought one for my road bike.

It is slightly firm (loads more so than the stock Giant saddle I was using previously that gave me 'issues'), but hasn't got uncomfortable on the rides I've done on it so far. Recommended.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If it's any help to you my sit bones are approximatey 130mm and the 143mm saddle felt perfect. But of course we are all different.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone tried a Specialized Romin saddle?’ is closed to new replies.