Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone train with a heart rate monitor?
  • mattk
    Free Member

I have a few races I would like to enter this year and have just started to train regularly rather than take the ‘just ride lots’ approach.

I’ve been toying with a heart rate monitor the last week to stay within specific HR zones to match what type of session I’m doing but riding off-road it seems almost impossible. I’m also running as part of my training as I would like to do a few xc/trail 10k races, that seems a little easier to maintain a steady rate but still difficult with the varied terrain.

Anyone had any joy using a HR monitor to train for off road races? Or should I not bother and just stick to the sessions I have planned like hill repeats, sprints, tempo and the long and steady Sunday ride?

skellnonch
    Free Member

Use it on the road, all my race training through the winter is done on my roadbike or the turbo… as you say its much easier to maintain specific loads and more easy to repeat on tarmac. May be a little late now to get the full benefit, although you will see some, I would normally start Oct/Nov for the following season.

Kryton57

What he said ^^

madjak
    Free Member

I do use a HRM for off road but as said it’s hard to maintain training zones strictly.

I use it for stopping myself maxing out too often and keeping track of training sessions using the memory feature.

surfer
    Free Member

Or should I not bother and just stick to the sessions I have planned like hill repeats, sprints, tempo and the long and steady Sunday ride?

IME your average Joe will not get the best use out of a HR monitor. There are too many variables and unless you spend a great deal of time and effort you will simply not get good value, particularly given the fact that your effort will be inconsistent given the terrain.

Edit: Just ride until yer eyeballs pop (sometimes)

purbeckian
    Free Member

What skellnonch said – riding on the road on my MTB (don’t have any other bikes) during the week using the HRM to stick to specific zones. Weekends go off-road and don’t use the HRM, just get out and enjoy being on the bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I used to, when I was actually training, but mainly for either road or gym sessions. It’s much easier to be in the right zones for your targets there than in a MTB situation.

Also, as others have said, get out and ride. Enjoy the view, rather than staring at your stem! 🙂

jameso

HRM for road miles or the turbo. Only use it now and then off-road for reference – ie how hard do I actually work climbing on a SS compared to 4-5 min efforts on a turbo? Need to bear in mind how much HR and output can vary (part of the reason I use it regularly when ‘training’, to get a feel for that over a longer period) and don’t work off levels based on max HR, use threshold levels instead.

brassneck

Enjoy the view, rather than staring at your stem!

Talk like this makes Chris Froome sad

JEngledow
    Free Member

Can I make him cry by suggesting you go as far as taking your feet off the pedals and shouting Weeeeeeeeeeeeee! on the downhills too!!

skellnonch
    Free Member

And then there’s power based training where your heart rate is for the most part irrelevant, it’s even more dependent on consistency, but arguably a more efficient way to train, as power never lies.

dragon
    Free Member

then there’s power based training where your heart rate is for the most part irrelevant

Not really true that, but it’s not relevant to the original post. TBH I used HR for a little while then decided not to bother, as they are useless for intervals which IME is the best way of getting fast. Also note you need to be careful indoors with one as you get HR drift as you heat up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why else do you think I wrote it!

skellnonch
    Free Member

Not really true that, but it’s not relevant to the original post. TBH I used HR for a little while then decided not to bother, as they are useless for intervals which IME is the best way of getting fast. Also note you need to be careful indoors with one as you get HR drift as you heat up.

On what basis is that not true? Do you train using a power meter? It is relevant as another way of training and of measuring your progress…. of course he could just do intervals then that would make him a champion for sure.

mattk
    Free Member

Cheers for the response guys, sounds like the HR monitor might not be the best option

Power training? Hmmm never heard of that before, *googles power meters*…….

jameso

they are useless for intervals which IME is the best way of getting fast

Doesn’t that depend on the type or duration of the intervals though? They’re a guide, better than nothing if you don’t want to shell out for power metering. Just don’t see a number on a HR and take it as an absolute, need to understand what it means, HR lag on short intervals, fatigue/heat effect etc.

project
    Free Member
    coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mr Justice Stephens added: “He was looking down at a heart rate monitor. He should have been looking at where he was going.

That’s why I use mine on the turbo then.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone train with a heart rate monitor?’ is closed to new replies.