Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Anyone thinking of leaving Sky?
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

I cancelled my Sky contract with them last month , currently making do with the free channels on Sky and moved to Plusnet for broadband.
    I got a call at the weekend offering me 3 months free on my old package ( Entertainment + Sky Sports ) and then the remainder at 75% discount with no minimum commitment – at that price its quite tempting to go back, though I’ve not said yes as yet.

buckster
    Free Member

Ive only just registered!

scaredypants

my mate Froo

no, nothing. I’ve said too much already 😳

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is another thread. Many of us cancelled, I did 5 years ago. 75% discount does sound quite appealing, you decide what you are watching and how mich that’s worth. I was paying £1k a year which I decided was a total waste of money. I watch mainly free channels and streamed content/bbc/channel4 catch up, we use a 2 for 1 cinema deal to watch “real” movies. IMO there where plenty of other things to do with the money.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Yeah those are mostly the reasons I cancelled, I only really watched John Oliver, Game of Thrones and the odd Liverpool game on the Sky channels, I didn’t think it was worth paying the money out I was just for that.
    The Sky+ recording/live pause is what I’ve missed the most.

dday

I dumped a load of channels (including movies) – then resubscribed to sky sports and Netflix – which is awesome. Still saved 30 odd quid a month from my original all in subs.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

75% discount is really good – they’ve not been offering that much for a long while. Take it.

zilog6128

The Sky+ recording/live pause is what I’ve missed the most.

Yep, I cancelled & then took the mega discount they offered which meant I was paying under £7/month for my old package (i.e. less than the £10/month they normally charge to enable Sky+ pause/rewind/etc without a Sky package). I took that option as I didn’t really want to get a Humax box, etc (IMO the Sky box is still by far the best!) – The extra Sky channels are just a bonus really as like you I don’t watch them that much!

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I was a launch day subscriber to Sky digital. If you have decent broadband, sky is so last year… I think their business model is dead.

You can get cheaper better combos of most Sky things via NOW tv, and pause/access for upto a month.
    You can get tons of films via Netflix, Amazon, Now etc etc.

Stopped subscribing 2 years ago – pleased and quids in…
    Got two spare sky HD boxes… 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yep

Bought a Freesat box yesterday.

Already missing the Sky menu system and some of its functionality.

chilled76
    Free Member

I’m thinking of ditching Virgin because of cost. Can anyone recommend a good broadband only package from a provider?

jimmy

I’m gonna cancel once my contract’s up next year and get a humax. I only pay £10/month for basic package but I’d rather not give Murdoch any money.

whitestone
    Free Member

We only got Sky at our last house as the terrestrial signal was crap. After we moved to our current house we realised that we only really watched the terrestrial channels (BBC1 & 2, ITV, Ch4 & Ch5) anyway so bought a freesat box and cancelled Sky. Even though we were only on the basic package we recouped the cost within a few months.

colournoise

Ditched Sky about a month ago. Don’t really miss it (replaced with Humax Freesat+ box and Netflix/Prime). Realising how little we actually watched the Sky channels. Only really missing (sadly) Fast’n’Loud and Wheeler Dealers guilty pleasures, and a decent food channel.

nedrapier

Yeah, I want to win more sprint stages, and I don’t think I can get the support I need to do that while I’m with Sky.

rajboab
    Free Member

I’m on my one months notice after cancelling last week.
    Was paying £80 p/m including 5Mbps BB.

Spent last night messing about with an Openbox V8S and a cline test.

All seemed to work although the Sky UI is pretty good.

Will see if Sky offer me anything. Nowt yet but if it’s cheap enough then who knows.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ditched Sky about a month ago. Don’t really miss it (replaced with Humax Freesat+ box and Netflix/Prime).

but surely you are paying roughly the same for all that as you were on sky (factoring in phone line too)

disco_stu
    Free Member

Will see if Sky offer me anything. Nowt yet but if it’s cheap enough then who knows.

I started getting the calls about 2 weeks after the end of contract.
    It would be worth checking when your broadband cancels, they cancelled mine after 2 weeks of putting the cancel request in even though the TV took another 4 weeks or so – this caused no end of grief as it took about 3 weeks to get another connection up and running.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

We had a choice of BT (Plusnet) or Sky broadband – both doing equally good deals. While I dislike BT intensely, I loathe Rupert Murdoch.

It was a relatively easy decision.

Saying that, if I could work out that 75% was somehow costing Sky money (not sure how as it’s a digital service, but you never know), I’d do that.

skiprat
    Free Member

We’ve just gone back with the 75% discount. Like the pause/rewind/record function of Sky. We tried BT tv but the remote is only ok if you have the thumb of a 6 month old and the whole planner is much easier to use (IMHO).

Kept my broad band with BT but will argue with them next year when they try to bump it up and my deal ends.

colournoise

FunkyDunc – Member
    but surely you are paying roughly the same for all that as you were on sky (factoring in phone line too)

Sky was about 80 quid a month.

BB + phone is 35.
    Netflix £7.50.
    Prime was £60 for the year so a fiver a month.

So, call it 50 quid a month against 80. Still a reasonable saving, but ditching Sky isn’t necessarily about the money…

twistedpencil

Ditched the sky tv recently and was going to go to Virgin for broadband and line rental. Sky undercut Virgin by a fair amount so stayed with them and got a now tv box for the kids channels.

Two weeks ago sky offered to give me all my channels back apart from hd and reduce our monthly costs by another couple of quid. No contract, £20 per month for broadband line rental and tv. Do miss the hd, but still get bbc, it channel hd still. The now TV set up means we’ll probably revert back to this when sky start ramping up costs again.

Was going to get a freesat box but tried the sky box instead. It’s missing a load of freesat channels, so when the time comes again we’ll go freesat.

13thfloormonk

We did, and have received all sorts of email offers since and phone calls which I’ve been taking sadistic pleasure in declining.

They called me from a different number last week though and I accidentally answered. Since I was in a bad mood anyway I played hardball and had him down to entertainment + box sets, Sky Cinema and Sky sports for £18/month. I said I would need to check with my wife (she’s the one who watches it 95% of the time) and he said he’d call back that evening.

Since he never called back we never took the deal (assuming they haven’t sneakily just subscribed us without telling us). Probably best for him that he didn’t call back, we were going to pass on the Sky Sports but ask for one of those free 44″ TVs they were giving out on Black Friday…

NOW TV, Netflix and freeview seems to fill the gap quite nicely anyway.

keithd
    Free Member

One of the main reasons I keep Sky is for Super league games. Where else can these be viewed-apart from the pub!

renton
    Free Member

We ditched SKY and went for a talk talk you view + box.

It was ok to start with but the signal quality has dropped so may need to adjust the aerial to see if I can improve it.

Also got a fire tv box with kodi on.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Humax box gone back, just didn’t like it as much as Sky box.

Also rang Sky back and cancelled today, which was painful in itself. They reckon £75 is very good vfm apparently. They did offer Sky Freesat with record functionality + fibre broadband & phone for £36, which is cheaper than you can get just fibre for.

Interested to see if we get any offers through now..

prawny

Im thinking of binning it at the moment. Our box is on it’s last legs and when I rang up to see what they’d do they just tried to sell me sky Q for loads more than a new customer would get it for. Only been with them 13 years though so not worthy of any loyalty yet 🙄

dannybgoode

I would love to ditch it but the combination of the channels, ease of recording, Sky Go etc plus a wife who is technically challenged means I put up with the bills.

I’ve tried all the alternatives (both the legal and not quite so legal ones) and unfortunately nothing quite works as well.

If I was on my own I’d be much more open to quitting but as it is I’ll be staying put. I do renegotiate my deal every year though and that minimises the pain – they’re quite open to haggling at renewal time.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

In the process. I have signed up for BT TV – which actually reduced my monthly BT bill, and will get freesat via my sat cables as my telly has twin freesat tuners built in, so with the addition of a USB external HDD I can get all the recording, pausing and rewind/fast forward functionality of Sky + through my telly. Am also giving Amazon Prime the free 30 day trial, then switch to my wifes 30 day trial, then after 60 days of trailing Amazon Prime decide if we need that – but so far i’m not that impressed with hit.

I think between the freesat and BT TV I should have all bases covered. All i’ll be missing is Sky Atlantic for GoT and the new series of Fortitude due early next year.

Tinners

Cancelling was the best thing we ever did. We were on full monty multiroom hd all the bells and whistles…and paying an absolute fortune for it. As a family, we’d been watching less and less, and it wasn’t until you actually sat down and totted it all up that it seemed to be a lot of money for services we weren’t using, although it was the Murdoch factor that did it for me.
    Much protesting from family (“We’ll miss it” etc). I’d planned on getting a Humax type thing, but never got round to it.
    We have Apple TV (paid for after 2 months Sky subs, with change, if you want to look at it that way) which runs Netflix and BBC iPlayer. We rent or buy the movies we want as and when via iTunes. Don’t miss it and saving a fortune. Do it. You won’t regret it. From what I hear, people are leaving Sky in droves. Rip off merchants who thrive on gullible people like me who pay through the nose for years without pulling out or renegotiating. Genuinely don’t miss it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No offers received as yet 🙁 how long does it usually take?

zilog6128

I had to wait until after the service was actually cut off before I got the decent offer. (I’d already taken broadband from someone else anyway so wasn’t too bothered about that!)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Anyone thinking of leaving Sky?’ is closed to new replies.