Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone thinking of going alfine……………
  • ton

for the winter like………. ❓

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes can I have dibs on yours ….no wink seriously say Xmas ?

giantjason
    Free Member

I did it two months ago with the winter in mind and so far think it is great. Virtually no maintenance to date except a few drops of oil on the chain.

I am getting a new DB Alpine in a couple of weeks and will be switching the alfine over to that.

Good spread of gears that allow me to spin along at 20mph and climb steep hills.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Had mine for a few weeks now, loving it tbh. Want one for the full sus…

easygirl

getting a bad boy 8 with alfine next week, hoping its all its cracked up to be

nickc

I've managed 15 or so winters without, I'll struggle on I reckon… 🙄

easygirl

i managed 20 years without a wife, but i still got married

polarisandy
    Free Member

yeah, was thinking of putting one on a spare Orange E8 frame i've got knocking about. Skinny tyres and using it as a commuter and winter off road bike. I think the alfine is £200 plus the cost of building up a new rear rim. But me hope minis are ****, so good time to swap to shimano, but will need Shimano rotors (if the hope's won't go on the alfine hub?)and i'll have to change the front hub to shimano, so all of a sudden it's starting to look expensive..back to a new merida cyclocross on the bike to work scheme.

Anyone know if i can run hope discs on a shimano hub, is there a converter?

Also, forgive my ignorance but can i only run a single chain ring at the front and whats with the tensioner, one i saw had what looked like bottom part of a rear mech hanging down from it.

Anyone know if i can buy all the bits on the BTW scheme?

sorry for the slight hijack and more questionsthan answers ton.

ton

i have one for sale built on a unused kris holm 29r rim.
    it is in mint condition, with all the gubbins and 2 sprockets…
    just testing the water.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Shimano discs? You mean centre lock? Just buy a converter to 6-bolt for £6 from the woolyhatshop

I don't understand why the front hub would have to change, the rear wheel/disc/hub is toally unconnected to the front hub or brake?

Rear tensioner is good, means you can run it on a full sus with change in chainline and gives excellent chain wrap and easy rear wheel removal. If you don't like it a singleator will be just bas good

Mackem

Robdeanhove, to have different hubs front and rear is a serious fashion crime.

tinsy
    Free Member

My Raleigh Chopper has a Sturmey 5 speed (yes you read that right 5SPEED)… dual toggle chain action.. 🙂

But for my mountain bike, nah cant be arsed… Having run a SS for a few years I found stuff still wears out and needs changing, might as well have 27 gears on it in my opinion.

edit,,,, should have read all the posts I guess, didnt realise you was selling one Ton…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone thinking of going alfine……………’ is closed to new replies.