Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone taken voluntary redundancy from a secure reasonably well paid job..
  • geoffj

and then regretted it?

We hear about all the ones that turn out well, but about the ones that don't?

tron
    Free Member

It would really depend on what your package is. Some are very good – I was chatting to some people a while ago and they were saying how they were coming in but the total pay you could get was going to be restricted to 2 years salary…

If it's 6 months or so's pay, I'd think about it.

pjt201
    Free Member

if your work is offering voluntary redundancy your job isn't secure!

The first guys out (voluntary) normally do far better than those made redundant 6 months later when the cash has really started running out.

Sui
    Free Member

we had a bloke who took voluntary redundancy – walked away with many 000's – guess what happened a few months later – they re-employed him on 50% more wage because of his skills set – peed a load of people off even the directors who were short sighted enough for it to happen…. makes you laugh..

hels
    Free Member

I thought it was illegal to re-employ somebody made redundant ?

Anyways, I took redundancy some years ago, I volunteered but the company out it through as compulsory for some reason, it was month pay for each year of service. The same company laid lots more people off in waves in the following years, and now offers statutory redundancy terms.

So IME best to be out in the first wave.

The look on my bosses face when she got a reference phone call the day after I was told I had the winning ticket (I had another job lined up) was worth it too. Had a right go as me for walking around the office punching the air, fair dos really.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Bit early to say, I jumped at it a couple of months ago. Finished the week before my 3 children went on school holidays and have had the best summer ever.

I had been with them for 13 years and got the best part of 20 odd months take home pay (after tax). To be honest I'm in a fortunte position of my wife also having a very good job so could probably last a very long time. Currently planning to take a year off and spend time with the children (and get some good rides in)

The lack of stress is fantastic and if you can afford it, I would recommend it.

Must go, the sun is bouncing of my screen and hurting my eyes… 😆

skidartist
    Free Member

I thought it was illegal to re-employ somebody made redundant ?

don't think so, its against the rules to make someone redundant then fill that vacated post with someone else, redundant means the post goes not the person – thats just the sack. If you want to re-recruit for that role I think you need to give first refusal to the person you gave the heave-ho to..

I actually encouraged an employer to make me redundant, so my post was secure until I told my board not to factor me in to any future developments.

EDIT – no regrets, I've never met anyone who didn't find being made redundant ultimately kick started something more rewarding.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone taken voluntary redundancy from a secure reasonably well paid job..’ is closed to new replies.