Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Anyone taken a dog on the ferry to France?
  • zubey
    Free Member

My puppy has a passport and is up to date with all required rabies vaccinations, and we are planning on driving to Catalonia soon.

It is only an extra 20 quid to add the puppy to the ticket. But she would suffer being left alone 4 hours in the car… and it seems like the risk of capture is so low I might just sneak her on. Anyone travelled from Poole or Newhaven who can comment on the probability of this going wrong?

She has all the correct paperwork, weighs about 5kg, is used to travelling in a rucksack and usually just happily sleeps and occasionally pokes her head out to say hi so it would be pretty easy to do from my perspective.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’d go by tunnel. She could stay in the car with you.

Alternatively, I believe some routes/operators have kennels or dog friendly cabins.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

We live in Catalunã with our dog Jasper. We have used the Dover Calais route several times and he is fine left in the car for 1 1/2hours. End of last year we sailed Santander to Plymouth with Brittany Ferries as this is 20 hours they have compulsory kennels which you can visit to exercise and feed the dog. I’d think that for a 4 hour crossing the dog would have to be kept in a kennel as the car deck is kept locked. I’d think they’d take a dim view of trying to bend the rules, especially if the dog wanted the toilet mid trip.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Anyone taken a dog on the ferry to France?’ is closed to new replies.