Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • anyone take Solgar 7 supplements ?
  • iainc

ok, I am expecxting lots of snake oil comments, but it’s a genuine question.

I have had a few knee ops and have a bit of arthritis, which is ok at a fairly fit 47 yr vintage 🙂

For past few yrs I have taken a daily pile of supplements including chondromax (glucosamine and other stuff), MSM, Omega 3, Rose Hip etc.
    Does it work – yes I think so but medical opinion always mixed.

Anyway, have heard of some people really rating this Solgar stuff, supposedly the ‘next generation’ , which is a daily supplement which does the same as all of the above…..(which many will say is a wallet emptying snake oil, I know 🙂 )

So any actual experiences from fellow gullabes ?

iainc

no-one ? oh well…

cinnamon_girl

Sorry, had to look it up. I’ve no experience of this but have been taking glucosamine for donkeys years.

Is this supposed to be better than glucosamine/cod liver oil then? Can it be taken indefinitely?

Is your current supplement not working?

iainc

c_g – you probably now know as much as me – some folks seem to think it’s wonderful. Like you I’ve been taking glucosamine and related stuff for years; is it working ? probably, but achy bones, which are probably a fact of life. Aways keen to find inprovement though 🙂

I did manage 30 hilly miles on road bike at over 19mph av last night though…

Cougar

Broadly speaking, getting what you need from your diet would be an improvement over pills.

Supplements are big business. They can be useful in cases of deficiency (eg, iron if you’re anaemic) but generally you’re better off (both health-wise and financially) with a balanced diet.

Most of what you’ve listed there has little or no proven benefit. MSM has plenty of claims but little evidence of efficacy beyond placebo, the so called ‘fish oil trials’ on schoolkids (which shot the Omega 3 stuff to fame) was bogus, Glucosamine I had to Google – “There have been multiple clinical trials testing glucosamine as a potential medical therapy for osteoarthritis, and the results have been inconclusive and contradictory”.

andyfla
    Free Member

Quite a good article here about supplements generally. The trouble with most of them is you aren’t guaranteed what is in them and rarely have the benefits actually been proven, beyond the “I have taken them for ages and feel much better ” kind of thing

http://dbfreelance.co.uk/supplements.pdf

sadexpunk

used to take CLO, gluco/chrond, multivits etc til a wise man once told me they were rubbish. he advised me to take dessicated liver for copper, magnesium, vit D3, vit C and zinc. some of those are solgar, some simplysupplements. dunno if they work or not, hard to tell.

jfletch
    Free Member

Like you I’ve been taking glucosamine and related stuff for years; is it working ? probably, but achy bones, which are probably a fact of life.

I love the logic of people who want to belive something is working!

“Is it working?”

“Well I still have all the symptoms I’m trying to prevent but it must be working or else the symptoms would be a lot worse.”

Cougar

dunno if they work or not, hard to tell.

Chap round our way sprinkles orange powder round his house every night. The other day, I asked him what it was for.

“It’s to keep the tigers out!” he exclaimed.

“Don’t be daft,” I told him, there are no tigers around here.”

He tapped the side of his nose conspiratorially. “Good stuff, isn’t it?!”

cinnamon_girl

Ooooh Cougar, you’re such a cynic! 😉

iainc

Well I didn’t expect too many sensible responses 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Lol but there are certain recognised deficiencies within the UK namely Vits D and B12.

Happy for you to be guinea pig on Solgar 7 and would be interested to hear your findings. Out of interest, how much glucosamine were you taking? Also eating oily fish is good … if you like that sort of thing obviously!

iainc

c_g – here goes :

3 chondromax ( so about 1500 glucosamine)
    3 opti msm
    1 omega 3 (1000)
    1 rose hip
    1 cherry active

per day – could buy a bike for that 🙂

Might try the Solgar, or might stop them all in a ‘controlled experiment’….

slackalice
    Free Member

Cougar has it with the balanced diet. I’m not convinced that the gut will process some of the chemicals that are in the so-called supplements. You can take it further with a raw food diet.

footflaps

I’m not convinced that the gut will process some of the chemicals that are in the so-called supplements

Given there’s bugger all evidence they do any good, you’re probably better off if your body can’t absorb them!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s really good for giving you expensive piss….. 😀

iainc

lol 🙂

iainc

Nobeer – has your new bike landed yet ? My forks should be in the shop tomorrow or Mon 🙂

cinnamon_girl

iain – blimey, that’s a lot you’re taking there! Curious as to why you’re taking MSM and Omega when you’re taking a good quantity of glucosamine?

A snippet for you cynics – I ride 2 or 3 times per week in daylight so was very surprised for a Vit D test to show as very low. I supplemented with 5000iu (large dosage)and when tested a year later was found to be average.

Nobody wants to be paying out for supplements, listening to your body and doing any necessary detective work is the way to go. Our bodies don’t work perfectly no matter how nice we are to them. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

I ride 2 or 3 times per week in daylight

You had your coat on then? 😀

cinnamon_girl

In Winter of course. 🙂 Stopped using suncream in Summer to give the vit D a chance!

crikey
    Free Member

Tha needs to eat more margarine.

cinnamon_girl

Only proper butter in this house!

jfletch
    Free Member

Stopped using suncream in Summer to give the vit D a chance!

😯

cinnamon_girl

jfletch – why that shocked smiley?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘anyone take Solgar 7 supplements ?’ is closed to new replies.