• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by andyv.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone switched from Eggbeaters to Shimano SPD?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Am about to try the shimano spd pedals having been with eggbeaters for as long as I can remember. Main reason for the switch is that my new shoes don’t work well with the egg beaters due to a thin sole so there is not tread contact. I have also become a little frustrated at how long the cleats last.

Just want to gauge the impression users of the shimano spd system have and how they feel compared to the egg beaters.

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

came from shimano to Mallet/Candies, unless something massive has changed I’m not going back.

yossarian
    Free Member

Just switched to XT spds after a decade of eggbeaters. Solid platform, great engagement and won’t need rebuilding every month I hope.

Joe

I used eggbeaters for years, and finally got pissed off with worn out cleats, bent cages, bust bearings and all the other nonsense with them.

Moved to a few pairs of Shimanos and have never looked back. Tried a set of eggbeaters the other day and couldn’t believe how imprecise they felt.

I think you’ll benefit from the switch soon enough. I’ve never looked back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure what you mean by thin soles? I always ran mine with the metal shims to protect the soles anyway.

I ditched egg beaters after getting fed up with pedals that didn’t last a winter and would jsut fall of the axle in the middle of nowhere every 6-8 months.

Shimano are:
    1) A heck of a lot cheaper, £20 for 520’s and apart from some minor weight savings and theoretically longer lasting bearings in the XT versions they don’t get much better. Mine all look excessively beater up and scruffy long before the bearings die (and with £12 cleats Vs shiny new pedals for £20, just bin them).
    2) More of a ‘click’ in and out rather than the more vague build of resistance at the end of the float in eggbeaters.
    3) Adjustable tension, I barely notice it and just leave it on minimum, but some people like to tinker with it.
    4) Steel cleats last ages in comparison to the brass ones.
    5) They don’t rock from side to side.

Downsides:
    ‘Multi release cleats’. Some shops don’t know the difference and will sell you these rather than the real ones, the multi release you can pull up hard to unclip, aimed at tourers/commuters.

Avoid the ‘trail’ pedals, they don’t offer any grip, and if I ever end up perched on them it’s because they’ve blocked me clipping in and really wish I was, not through choice.

Unless I was built like a pro-roadie I’d cut off various appendages to save the weight before going back to Crankbrothers.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I used eggbeaters for years, and finally got pissed off with worn out cleats, bent cages, bust bearings and all the other nonsense with them.

This.

I used Crank Bros pedals for seven years, early examples fell apart rapidly and they never fully sorted the cleat wear issue. After a couple of years, they start to feel noticeably baggy even with new cleats fitted.

I switched to XT and DX pedals and haven’t ever looked back.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I spent a while on Mallets when I was teaching myself to ride clipped in, couldn’t get on with hove vague the float and engagement felt so switched to Shimano SPDs(DX) and found I preferred the more precise feeling they had. Even when set up with a reasonable amount of float.

Tried Mallets again recently and still couldn’t get on with them.

qwerty
    Free Member

When i eventually ditch my Candys, i’ll be looking to try Time out

better quality than Crank Bros. with a different feel to Shimano.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To add some update the current design lasts longer is much better on bearings (Candy3/Mallet3 at least) and are a piece of piss to service. In probably 7 years I’ve only had one end bolt fail and that was on some OEM cheap ones. I did snap an axle but that was in a very big crash

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Went from Candy and Acid to XT Trail pedals. Really, really like the Shimano pedals.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Enough positive comments on the Shimano SPD’s that I just placed an order with Merlin! Looking forward to the switch.

Cheers All.

andylc
    Free Member

Bit late to comment but I had Crank Bros pedals on my last bike for 7 years. They came with the bike so I changed over from SPD. I found them awful to start with, harder to get in and out of, with more movement when clipped in. I eventually got used to them but decided to change back to SPD on my new bike. Can’t believe how much better SPD is – easier in, easier out, better feel when clipped in, never come out accidentally (which the Crank Bros did every now and then) and always come out when I crash.
    Might not be agreed by all but my suggestion is keep them on the loosest setting all the time.

andyv
    Free Member

For an alternative view I’m resisting a switch from CB to SPD. Whilst I agree that shimano SPD is superior in almost every way the CBs give better support across the pedal. ie with a CB your foot has wide support at at either side by the soles of your shoes on the pedal, whereas with a spd your foot is narrowly supported at the centre by the cleat so tilts more every stroke. For me this makes the difference betwen ITBS knee pain and no knee pain.

On the plus side I can strip and re-grease a pair of CB pedals in the time it takes my riding mates to put their gloves on!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone switched from Eggbeaters to Shimano SPD?’ is closed to new replies.