Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone successfully added a disc mounting to a carbon mtb/cross frame?
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I have a carbon cross frame that I don’t want to part with, but I wouldn’t mind converting to a disc set up. Obviously forks are not a problem. Anyone added a disc mount to a carbon frame? If so care to share.

nemesis
    Free Member

No but I did do so to a aluminium frame with an A2z adapter which worked fine. That said, I wouldn’t have used it with most carbon frames as I reckon it’d damage them. The only type of adapter I’d have considered would be one that fixes to the canti mounts rather than butting up against the frame.

dovebiker

In a word: DON’T – unless you fancy snapping your frame / bones in your body. Frames need to be reinforced to deal with the extra stresses from the disc brake (never mind trying to find a 130mm OLN disc hub if CX). I know an ex-pro who bust his collarbone first ride having had disc mounts brazed to his steel frame which resulted in a broken seatstay – a similar outcome awaits.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you do go down the adapter route then the old specialized one is the best of them IMO. It bolts to the drop out and the brake boss so spreads the load nicely. You might need to do something clever at the drop out end and they are hard to find these days, though.

nemesis
    Free Member

dovebiker – Member
    In a word: DON’T – unless you fancy snapping your frame / bones in your body. Frames need to be reinforced to deal with the extra stresses from the disc brake (never mind trying to find a 130mm OLN disc hub if CX). I know an ex-pro who bust his collarbone first ride having had disc mounts brazed to his steel frame which resulted in a broken seatstay – a similar outcome awaits.

A bit hysterical there… As I’ve shown, a similar outcome in not a given. I also know several people who’ve used adapters with no problem.

As I said though you need to carefully consider what frame you’re putting it on and a carbon one may well be a bad choice as I explained.

And FWIW, with a steel or aluminium frame, you can typically fit a 135mm hub in there without much problem and without them exploding in a ball of fire as I expect might get claimed. On carbon, again, you may need to consider more carefully depending on the design.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone successfully added a disc mounting to a carbon mtb/cross frame?’ is closed to new replies.