• This topic has 111 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bdb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • anyone still riding rigid i would just love to see your pics old skool rules ok!
  • manwells
    Free Member

offroaders only! look forward to seeing who the real mountain biking hard men are on stw!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Folk that ride rigid only do so cos ther're trying to make their gay riding seem as manly as everyone else's "normal" off-roading.

tommid
    Free Member

Yep Still riding a rigid Surly 1×1 and to be honest it hasn't affected my riding one bit.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

endooooooo!

scholarsgate
    Free Member

surely that should be

endooOOoo

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Once I order a new frame I'll build up the current bike as a rigid with all the spare parts I've got. It'll make a perfect second bike for leaving at the station or loaning to friends who visit.

wwaswas

"look forward to seeing who the real mountain biking hard men are on stw!"

your trolls grow more blatant every time, manwells.

and we're all jolly pleased you sold the specialized, really.

manwells
    Free Member

this aint no troll waswas it is a genuine post, the worse thing the biking industry ever did was put cheap disc brakes and cheap suspension forks on bikes. to put things into perspective to get a really good lightweight hardtail these days say around 22 pounds in weight you have to pay around £2500 off the peg, and you can add another £1000 for a custom build, and sometimes it makes you wonder if it is worth all that money to get a lightweight bike! what do you stw folk think?

clubber
    Free Member

I think you're posting multiple threads on the proper forums to try and divert attention away that all you really post is classifieds ads for that overpriced Rocky Mountain (which is very nice and plenty of us would consider at a more reasonable price).

tinsy
    Free Member

I hate those cheapy forks too, I always think its best to pay a little extra myself.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

the worse thing the biking industry ever did was put cheap disc brakes and cheap suspension forks on bikes.

Youy know, he is at least partly right there IMO. Cheap suspension forks are a waste of time: They flex and bounce everywhere, then sieze up.

Cheap discs can be a good thing though – Avid & Shimano make decent ones that work far better than vees. 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

I'm on rigid, and haven't ever been off them.

I rode my brother's Stinky down the skills loop at Hamsterley once, but otherwise have never ridden a bike with any suspension at all.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Al, I rode the Alpine Trail in Oakridge with two guys on rigid single speeds with cable operated discs. They were uncatchable.

robgarrioch

Recently tried it & will be again soon…

Swalsey
    Free Member

Not ridden yet (broken leg), but took my old Inbred out with those forks and 2.4" high rollers – to glentress red and black, then the wall ride 😀

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Poor effort. Everyone knows that the only way to do a rigid bike troll is to say you owned everyones ass while riding one – rigid bike that is. Aint that right Smee. 😀 Has to be singlespeed too….

manwells
    Free Member

beautiful bike swalsey i must say!

Swalsey
    Free Member

Thank you Manwells! I've wanted to build it since 2001, definatly a keeper – its getting some black fox vanilla 100 to finish the job soon 😀

sofaking
    Free Member

feed the trolls i say

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Was riding all weekend with a guy on a rigid, SS, 29er (no beard though). I had to work very, very, hard to drop him DH :oops:, although he tired a lot faster than I did. Impressed. On a different ride he also came within a gnats chuff of clearing an icy Cavedale on the same bike.

epicsteve
    Free Member

All my other bikes have suspension though.

westkipper
    Free Member

I still ride rigid. Either a CX bike or a ten year old MTB, which is no longer possible to get bouncy forks for.
    Ideally I'd have a supershort ultra lightweight front suspension fork but such a thing doesn't exist, Its either 100mm+ choppers or nothing, and I just (personal opinion here) find the handling of all (26") front suspension bikes too wandery and remote.
    sorry, no pics (shoulda used the cash saved on suspension to buy a camera!)

timdrayton
    Free Member

Clink

All I've ridden for over a year (different wheels and brakes now though). Love it. Just about to get a full sus as well though (Salsa Big Mama) to provide a complete contrast.

angryratio
    Free Member

With or without a tyre change this bike gets muddy at least once a week

Bernaard
    Free Member

Not on the trails unfortunatley

tangent
    Free Member

DK1 nearly gone…Norway

My quite ancient DeKerf singlspeed + RC31s…it didn't quite make it to the end of that summer 😥 however it was almighty fun getting there 8)

tangent
    Free Member

oops nearly posted that twice…erm am in awe of the Phil Woods Piss Off earlier in the thread 😯

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

More troll food:

manwells
    Free Member

futon what in the name of our lord is that, it must be one of the weirdest front forks that i have ever set my eyes on lol! and what width is that front tyre man and why is it so wide?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Bike – Jones Spaceframe, truss fork, very stiff direct steering.

Front wheel – 26×3.7" tyre – nice and fat to smooth things out, oh and run at 7.5psi 🙂

timdrayton
    Free Member

futon river crossing if ever i win the lottery i will buy one of those, lovely

manwells
    Free Member

FUTON IF YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING MATEY HOW MUCH DID YOUR RIG COST AND HOW DOES IT RIDE AND WHERE IN THE WORLD DO YOU BUY A FRONT TYRE THAT WIDE AND WHAT IS THE FRAME MADE OF?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

No need to shout mate! 🙂

It's Ti – checkout http://www.jonesbikes.com

westkipper
    Free Member

futon, with that front tyre, your bike no longer qualifies as rigid (that f****rs probably got more travel than some suspension forks) 😯

cheers_drive

Taken yesterday on it's maiden ride as a rigid. With 29er wheels front suspension is not needed, at least not when the trails are in there current slowish muddy state.

postierich
    Free Member

who the real mountain biking hard men are on stw!
    Sticks out chest

😉

westkipper
    Free Member

A hard man with a fat arse, judgin' by that saddle 😀

coastkid
    Free Member

even more comfy with those big tyres front and rear 😮
    and there designed for this…

and this…

and lots of fun and silly grins….
    cant afford a fork for this this now (more than the frameset FFS!)…but dont need suspension on the easy trails around here…

can have lots of fun without suspension…

local trails…

snow…

the beach…

Northwind

This seems to be the only pic I've got of it in rigid form…

Usually I run Revs but it's nice to have the choice. I love it, wouldn't want to go to fort william with rigids but it's so cool the way the trails ride completely differently. 29er Exotic carbon fork with a 26 inch wheel in it just to tip the bike back a little, seems to work.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘anyone still riding rigid i would just love to see your pics old skool rules ok!’ is closed to new replies.