Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone squeezed a 2.8" into a regular 27.5 fork?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

i’ve got new 27.5 wheels built up with a 2.8 Nobby Nic on the front, and just to see i shoved it into my 26″Sektors. it didn’t look that far off. maybe a 27.5 fork would have just enough clearance? it’s always dry where i live, so pretty tight would be fine.

i’m actually on the hunt for 29″ lowers for my sektors and i’m just going to swap them over but just wandering
    anyone tried it?

tweedviper
    Free Member

Yes I run a Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.8 on my 2016 27.5 Pikes it is fairly tight but runs nice, I have also just tried a Specialized Butcher 2.6 grid which is actually taller than the Rocket Ron 2.8 and it feels great

BadlyWiredDog

Yep, 2.8 NN and 2.8 Rekon both fit fine in an X Fusion Sweep.

vincienup
    Free Member

I offered my 2.8 Trailblazers on i35’s up to a standard 27.5 Pike.

They fit, they turn. Mud would be a problem I think.

jes
    Free Member

Wtb ranger and trail blazer in 2.8 (67-68 mm across) on hope 35w rim fit with quite good clearance in a Fox 36 talas 27.5.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

thanks all. i should’ve said Rockshox fork.
    i knew that fox and x-fusion were better for clearance.
    so rocket ron’s ok. how much clearance are we talking about tweedviper?
    and same question vincienup

tweedviper
    Free Member

jamiesilo

I will take a photo this evening when the hooligans have gone to bed so you can see the clearance, but it is totally fine for most summer riding.

I can’t figure out how to post pictures on here as I am an old git who is better suited hooning than tech, but can email to you

stevedoc
    Free Member

With interest as just bought a set of Minions dhfs 2.8 today for the + bike but also interested to see what the clearance is like in my Lyrics

tweedviper
    Free Member

jamiesilo
    Pics sent to email in profile

jamiesilo
    Free Member

found my answer:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-plus-bikes/2016-heckler-2-way-conversion-1017995.html

now just need some 27.5 sektor lowers…

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i have now done this.
    2.8 nobby nick on a 40mm wtb scraper in a regular 27.5 Sektor. there is 8 – 10mm clearance above, which is the most constraining.
    i virtually never ride in mud or wet, so it is fine. occaisionally tyre picks up a stone or bit of debris, which it jams into the bridge and catapaults out the front. but not huge forces involved; tyre is pretty soft and brie not showing signs of damage yet.

send me and email if you need a picture

tdog
    Free Member

I noticed this on my new bike with 2.8″ NNs on 34mm internal rims in a 27.5 Pike not + but boost yes.

I now appear to have limited clearance above tyre knobs to fork brace and now left wondering does it matter.

So does it ❓

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i have once had a wheels refuse to turn because of the amount of mud accumulated around it and the frame. no idea if that happens in the uk. needs to be pretty sticky mud, but still annoying

otherwise, it hasn’t mattered so far on my Sektors, and they don’t get jumped or drop-offed too much so i’m not bothered. : )

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone squeezed a 2.8" into a regular 27.5 fork?’ is closed to new replies.