Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone speak French? Very random question!
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Just driving to Briancon in France in my newley converted Renault Trafic camper. Annoyingly the clutch has started slipping – I think these things go terminal quite quickly. Hopefully we’ll get there but I’ll need to find a Renault garage who can change it quickly (to avoid a ruined holiday).

So not speaking the lingo, can someone google me an independent garage that services Renaults?

Thanks!!!

cranberry
    Free Member

Have you tried googling “renault garage in Briancon” ?

Assuming you are in/near/going to make it there as you don’t give any other location.

leffeboy

clutch = embrayage

I think the Midas chain of garages also do clutches

http://www.midas.be/fr/garages/

cranberry
    Free Member

Leffeboy – aren’t all those garages in Belgium ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@leffe has it – it went on the (French) wife’s car. Symptom was slipping in higher gears first (typical). It should be cheaper than in the UK as its a Renault and labour costs are lower but beware its holiday season, its worth phoning around. you don’t necessarily need a main dealer either “garage locale” worth checking at both to compare.

My email address is in my profile – if you need help email me with your phone number and my wife can try and speak to the garage for you.

Good luck.

cchris2lou

list of garages in Briancon using french yellow pages :

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/annuaire/briancon-05/garages-d-automobiles-reparation

leffeboy

Oops sorry. That is the belgian list. I’ll see if I can find the french list

Edit: Try http://www.midas.fr and then towards the bottom of the page ‘ou trouver’

deadkenny
    Free Member

You got AA / RAC with European cover? They can do the lingo bit for you and sort you out. Even without the Euro cover they may be able to help or sign you up for the cover for a year.

Ewan
    Free Member

Cheers everyone. I’ve got ADAC cover who I might see if they can recommend a garage – will need to get through fge German barrier there tho!

I think we’ll try and get to Briancon via gap which is pretty flat. Find an aire and then try and call around tomroow.

I will let you know what happen s!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t stop (breakdown 😉 ) on the motorway as I think any recovery will be much more expensive

cchris2lou

good luck finding anywhere open on a sunday . and if you call assistance they will probably try to tell you that you need to pay some excess in cash .

i would wait monday and go to a garage .

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ this

tillydog
    Free Member

I learnt “embrayage” and “bague d’etancheite”* when we took out VW camper to France :-/

* = Oil seal, but literally: “Ring of watertightness” (presumably as fitted to ducks.)

Ewan
    Free Member

Hi everyone, just to provide the ending to this story. We were driving down the hill Ailefroide camp site and came across a Renault garage. Long story short the van is sorted, I’m 900 euros poorer and the holiday is back on 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

We love an update. Enjoy the trip.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone speak French? Very random question!’ is closed to new replies.