Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Anyone smashed up a cast iron bath?
  • bearnecessities

Plumber said it was possible.

I’m not so sure.

crikey
    Free Member

What could possibly go wrong?

..and, why are you breaking it?

crikey
    Free Member

Put this into a search engine of your choice: breaking up cast iron bathtub

myheadsashed

Yes it will go with a bang – goggles recommended 😯

Flash
    Free Member

Ear plugs, big hammer, you’ll be fine

sqweeeezzz
    Free Member

Big hammer, cover yourself from head to toe, gloves, eye protection and just keep swinging till the bugger breaks or you are deaf 😕

crossland
    Free Member

Watch the shards of enamel if its like the one I did

midlifecrashes

Sledgehammer, I’ve done a couple. Goggles too, they don’t normally go upwards, but smaller bits do come off.

wwaswas

Some blokes threw one out of a second storey sash window at my parents.

It smashed the concrete path it landed. In but remained intact. Good noise though.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Cover the bath with an old blanket and swing that sledge.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I would have thought someone would buy it off of you.

CheesybeanZ

Put an old blanket over it and get your big hammer on the job 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

A friend of mine has just done this s we couldn’t get it down his staircase.

He used a sledgehammer and a chisel and after tracing some initial lines with the chisel is came apart quite easily, albeit in lots if iddy biddy pieces.

Eye protection and a thick blanket to cover the tub are recommended.

bearnecessities

I don’t think it’s physically possible to bin it any other way?!

I’m trying to minimise costs by turning the room into a shell before new suite is fitted, whilst that thing is just sat there, glowing in a nuclear green, mocking me.

EDIT: There’s been 12 posts since! Not giving it away as there will be a cast iron death at the bottom of stairs. Scoring it with a chisel first is a good idea ta.

..a bit daunted by prospect of swinging a sledgehammer into the fecker.

divenwob
    Free Member

Blanket,sledge hammer,dont come out til the jobs done!

Bear
    Free Member

broken many, ear defenders and googles essential. try to break it into about 4 bits but be very careful handling it the edges will be very sharp.

VanHalen

Why not get it re enamelled? You will never find another bath as nice. Don’t know why people remove these??

Mikeypies
    Free Member

As above, did one with my dad a few years ago definitely cover it with a blanket and wear eye protection as the enamel really flies. We used a lump hammer and chisel to get the first crack going once that is done its easy.

Oh and a pair of ear defenders would be a good idea along with wearing some good thick gloves as the edges can be v sharp. Have fun your legs will get a work out too carrying it down the stairs

matt_outandabout

Yes, we did two in one day. I had to take a huuuge cake and tea to most the street from the noise. Sledge hammer and hit it in the side – once it has started, it is quite simple.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

a pick axe is what you want. hammers just bounce, you need a point load

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I had ringing in my ears for hours and had the plumber pissing him self at my attempts to ” tickle ” it with a 32 oz hammer. As above once cracked, easy but what a noise!!!
    Mate had a really nice one on an old house he tried to sell, with the claw feet etc. everyone said I’ll give you £150 if you get it here. But no one would attempt to remove it due to weight. In the end it was smashed to bits and weighted in for scrap!!!

carlosg
    Free Member

As above big sledgehammer and whack the living crap out of it,I did the one in our bathroom when I knocked through (seperate toilet/bathrooms).My initial thought was “I’ll just undo all the pipework and lift it out” ,wrong they weigh a bloody ton! It took about 30 big hits before it started to crack and break up but once it’s started it goes quite quickly.

bearnecessities

Why not get it re enamelled?

Because bath is being repositioned sideways against the far wall – and it’s 8cm too long, plus it’s not the look I’m going for really 😉

I will start googling pick axe reviews!

Thanks STW

bigG
    Free Member

Yup, sledgehammer, fill it with blankets, ear defenders and give it a massive swing.

Used to drink with an old boy that was a plumbers mate when he was young. One of his jobs used to be to carry cast iron baths upstairs into houses to be installed. Apparently 2nd floor tenement flats were his worst nightmare. I can’t even contemplate picking one up let alone carrying it on your back up stairs.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Nope but myself and 3 builders had to get one upstairs into my mums house when she had a free standing one put in. I glared at her, reeling at the back pain she had caused especially where the stairs go round on themselves hallway up. 🙄

SugarHigh
    Free Member

I know it’s a horrible colour, but have you checked it’s value before you smash it to bits? There are a few rare art deco style ones that are worth something. Even if it’s not worth anything you’ll find someone who’ll pay you for it and take it out for you and get the money back as scrap metal.

bearnecessities

Maybe, and heck I could do with the money – however, I’d just rather rid of it. Collection/sale just seems shrouded with potential death/damage to house/hassle.

Just want rid, but thanks for the thought.

hora
    Free Member

Yep. I did this. Make SURE you wear ear defenders and you want to get a fitter upper body. I filled a hire transit to the brim 10timez over gutting a 3bed house totally.

hora
    Free Member

Oh and dont let your plumber have it or skip it. Weigh it in. It’ll be worth a few quid.

I also had a copper storage heater cica 20’s. I did a deal with the boiler fitter on this.

Theyll make out heavy chunks or iron and copper….well doing you a favour.

footflaps

Dynamite?

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve done loads (unfortunately!)

My preferred method is a heavy short handled lump hammer (goggle, gloves, ear protection)

Get into the bath and start near the plug hole as that’s the weakest point. Don’t wonder how hard to hit it, the correct amount is always going to be slightly harder than you can manage. So just **** HIT it. As hard as you can !!! 🙂

You can get them into 4 or six bits fairly easily.

I wouldn’t use blankets, just means it takes longer and it’s not going to be clean or quiet either with or without them.

nick_richards
    Free Member

I did one recently. Not too difficult to break up with a sledge hammer.

I only got £11 weighing it in, which I did not feel was worth the 20 mile round trip (especially when you add in the puncture I picked up at the scrap yard).

grantway
    Free Member

Sledge hammer done mine

br
    Free Member

Because bath is being repositioned sideways against the far wall – and it’s 8cm too long,

Make an indent in the wall?

We’ve a cast iron bath, it’s ace – and long enough for all +6ft of me to stretch out.

soops
    Free Member

Get a 4lb lump hammer, start between the taps and bang hard, work your way down towards the plug hole still banging. Bang the full length of the bath. Then start half way down the bath where the handles would be and bang hard and bang your way across the bath to the other handle. Then repeat the process. 9 times out of ten it will split into 4 pieces.

althepal

Carried a big victorian one down the stairs (thankfully first floor flat)-possibly bigger than yours..
    Thought the two or three reclamation yards I know in Glasgow would gladly have it but they didnt seem interested! Got £30 for it at a scrappy… i loved that bath as well. Spent many happy Saturday afternoons lying in it with a coupla beers listening to tunes and footy. Part of my going out routine it was!
    Took

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Tried to smash ours and after several goes, and partial deafness, I decided to carry it downstairs and then gave it to a local farmer to use as a trough.

wwaswas

Filling it with water before you start would help muffle any noise?

konabunny
    Free Member

I feel left out because I haven’t smashed one up.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    Filling it with water before you start would help muffle any noise?

Did you think that through before typing? 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Anyone smashed up a cast iron bath?’ is closed to new replies.