Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone skied or snowboarded in Vail or Beaver Creek?
  • Mush
    Free Member

Trying hard not to sound smug, but I’m going snowboarding in Colorado next weekend and I’m very much looking forward to it.

I’m staying with a mate who is doing his medical elective out there and while initially we thought we were going to Vail, it now turns out we’re going to Beaver Creek down the road.

Has anyone been to either resort or the area? Our lift pass will cover Vail so we’re definitely going to be hitting the back bowls there, but in contrast there doesn’t seem to be much online about Beaver Creek beyond immaculately groomed runs.

Little concerned that it’s going to be crazily expensive and a bit quiet at night.

turin
    Free Member

i went to Breckenridge a few years ago and the pass we had let us ski at vail and beavercreak along with one other. I really liked both of them, iirc you could ski at night at beavercreak which was fun but cold as I have ever been in my life. I recall that vail was, as expected, horrendously expensive, like $5 for a can of coke!! but the skiing more than made upfor it. Beaver was a fair bit smaller then, no idea of its size now but still fun. Try and get to breckeridge if you get teh chance, there used to be a free bus service between them all which was good.

Breckenridge is at some stupidly high elevation which made it a bit uncomfortable but great al the same.

Im so jealous 👿 😀

gus
    Free Member

Used to live out there, worked for Vail resorts (although in Keystone).
    Beaver Creek is where the super rich go! It has heated pavements and ever set of stairs has an escalator, there are even guys who lift your ski’s on and off the bus.

I don’t think there is a bad place to stay in the resort. Its all about the service. Night life is not up to much, Vail is better.
    It is expensive, but their is the town of Avon at the bottom of the mountain, where you can get most things for avearage prices, free bus goes up and down.

The mountain is ok and genrally empty, there are some good tree runs if you can find them. Lots of good mogal skiing if thats your thing.

Vail is a big mountain in USA terms on a powder day, head stright for the back bowls. China bowl is my favorite and Blue Sky Basin which is actually the next mountain over.

Vail and Beaver creek are linked by a bus for a few $$. Top tip if it is still there is the mexican place in the bus station in Vail bus station. Vail also has a cool bike shop at Lionshead towards the carparking.

turin
    Free Member

keystone, thanks it had been bugging me, I think I got the keystone and Beaver creak mixed up

Mush
    Free Member

We’re going for 10 days so I think we’ll make the most of the [edit: potentially] free buses and cover as much ground as possible. I kind of sensed we were going to a pretty upmarket area when I learned that we would be staying in a chalet (condo?) owned by the boss of a formula one team! Will certainly make a change from the self-catered apartments in the Alps that we’re used to 🙂

NZCol

Worked in Vail on ski school. Was quite poor so not the best place however my clients were always very rich and generous ! Vail is nice of an evening – some good bars and nice places to eat. Didn;t spend much time in BC but did ski up there a bit. Back bowls were lush after fresh snow and of course i had to go first to make sure it was all safe 😆
    Firkin cold though, i have never been so cold ever.

Both are good. Recent snow fall has favoured Breck though. Had heard the snow was not great at BC. Weather here has been cold as Col said.
    This may help with weather.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’ve been to Vail a couple of time and really enjoyed it. The Apres isn’t brilliant, but it’s not too bad, and the on mountain facilities aren’t up to European standards. The ski area is big for North America so you won’t get bored. I hope you like flatish narrow linking runs ‘coz there’s loads of them in Vail. I never found it to be that cold (then again I’ve done -30C odd in Banff before) but that could just be luck on my part.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve ploughed the beaver creek! 😯

Ro5ey
    Free Member

They don’t call it Breckenfidge for nothing.

Cold and HIGH.

I’m in no way a sickly kid (I normally take heavy doses of MTFU) but the altitude killed me it really took it right out of me. Hope you dont suffer that.

Night boarding is great, like night bike riding, you seem to be going much faster and because its sooo blooming cold you have the slopes to yourself.

Mush
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the tips.

scotsman
    Free Member

Go to Arapahoe Basin if your into your back country off piste stuff, absaloutly amazing! always quiet as everyone tends to go to the big resorts, and if yer up for a drive go to Aspen mountain, not the other bit where all the rich got all the gear no idea types go think its called Aspen highlands, but Aspen mountain is :mrgreen: if you like steep and extreme! O and theres always winter park and copper mountain if you get bored.
    Enjoy, been to lots of US states for skiiing and always go back to Colorado, although now I come to think of it? Lake Taho….mmmmm Banff Canadia….mmmm Na Colorado as there are so many different hills to choose from.
    We always avoid the likes of Vail, Brekenridge, Beaver Creek, places for the masses! Although these places are brilliant get a car and go to the out of the way hills, you will love it and you will be going back every year!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone skied or snowboarded in Vail or Beaver Creek?’ is closed to new replies.