Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone shipped a bike to Oz?
  • sjw220889
    Free Member

Hi All,

Moving to Austrailia in October and what to ship my bike(s) out!

Has anyone got any reconmondations and rough prices?

Cheers Sam

matth75
    Free Member

Check Royal Mail or other delivery firms websites (example. I took mine on the plane years ago on a sporting goods allowance thingy & it didn’t cost me a penny. It was a few years ago mind.

qwerty
    Free Member

No but I’ve shipped a Jag to NZ, they all get a bit funny about dirt down under so make sure it is clinically clean.

Consider a container for all your possessions or drums for iccle bits n bobs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    takisawa2

Heard from a few folk that sticking new tyres on is good advice when taking / sending a bike to Oz. Otherwise they charge you for cleaning them.

tarquin
    Free Member

Had planned to take mine as luggage, depends who you fly with on how many kg you can take. You could take a bike as sporting goods with Emirates.

Ended up having to include it with my other belongings to ship out via sea.

Scrubbed it down with Jeyes fluid totally first then wrapped carefully.

ali69er
    Free Member

I used Paisley Freight in January to ship to NZ. They are just an agent and used Fed Ex, they were half the price of any other carrier. I cleaned the bike up and it was fine. No new tyres here.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes done 6 in the last 6 months. Mail me for specifics but did the following

CLEAN

Have a look at Transglobal who are a shipping broker. Get a bike box from your LBS having a look at the UPS Max Dimensions – its a total package girth you are looking at so may need to lower the op of the box.

As they are a broker the prices are lower. I was getting about £100-130 per box (up to 32kg) shipped door to door to Tasmania.

You will need 4 copies of the packing list and a filled in B534 (HERE)form.

It takes about 7-10 days for shipping and helps if you are going to be in or have an address (friends etc) to ship to. You can pack the box out to the max weight as you wish.

Where are you heading?

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Took a bike to Sydney with Emirates over xmas and was fine. Although the bike was given a pretty good check going through customs.

Looks like we will be moving to Melbourne after the summer and was planning to take a bike on the plane the same as before. The others I was going to stick in a container with all our furniture.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From previous experience Air Freight seems to get the least checking.

Most of mine weren’t opened and arrived as was. I described them as Bicycle rather than mountain bike. Fresh rubber as a precaution on them. I was planning on doing the same but due to not having work lined up chose to have all 3 expressed!

Had shoes, bag and tools in the box ready to go and got all 3 out for under £500 (each box was 30kg) so has been a nice advance on our shipping which is still a few weeks out (after nearly 3 months)

Other thing is to make sure you declare they are all over 12 months old on the forms. (Remember nothing you import is newer than that or you will be due import duty)

I was going to fly with 1 bike but the prospect of living off 15kg of stuff for 3 months was not going to work.

bigrich

pay the excess baggage when you book your flight. when I go to Queenstown I take my bike for 40 bucks as I buy 40kg of extra luggage.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bigrich – Member
    pay the excess baggage when you book your flight. when I go to Queenstown I take my bike for 40 bucks as I buy 40kg of extra luggage.

PMSL Jetstar luggage is great!! However it’s about £35/kg from the UK

If I went back to europe for bike holiday I’d air freight it, saves the hassle

sjw220889
    Free Member

Cheers guys great advice. Moving to Melbourne but travelling through Asia and NZ first and don’t want to take my bike while backpacking for a month but what it in Oz for when I arrive.

Thanks again!

tarquin
    Free Member

Have you got an address in Australia you can post it onto first, friends/family?

sjw220889
    Free Member

Yes my cousins live their and are going to take delievery.

jimilindley
    Free Member

If you fly via the US (normally La) with BA/Qantas you get twice the luggae aloowanceat 40kg, and 2 years ago they let me take a road bike for free, but yes cleanliness is very impo0tant to them

rubbersidedown
    Free Member

I’m moving to Melbourne in January. I don’t want to be bikeless for 3 months so I’m planning to put the mtb in the shipping container (in a bike box) and air freight the road bike (again, in a bike box from the lbs).

I like the tip on fitting new rubber. Will look at Transglobal.

davidjohn
    Free Member

I’m in Melb so I can help once you’re here and looking for good places to ride.

Where in Melbourne are you planing to live?

DJ

mrpaul
    Free Member

+1 for Transglobal – cheapest I found and everything worked well for me in Jan 2012.

A few cms difference in the dimensions of the box can make a difference in price though, so get the smallest box that’ll fit your bike.

Mine got opened for AQIS inspection – it was clean but not ‘as new’ and used rubber too but I didn’t get a cleaning bill from them.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

If you’re emigrating, you can take double the luggage allowance (depending on airline AFAIK).

Take it as hold luggage, it’s what I did.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone shipped a bike to Oz?’ is closed to new replies.