Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone sent their bike on holiday?
  • pilgrimbob
    Free Member

We’re off to Morzine in July. Was thinking that I would hire a bike when I get there but I see there are a few companies offering to ship it out to France for as little as £120 return.

I’m looking at Bag Solo

Too good to be true?

Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad.

Thanks

Bob

stevomcd
    Free Member

Why not just take it with you? Should cost less than £120.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I was wondering if they rented you a bag as well, but nope, they’re literally just saving you the inconvenience of towing your bike bag through the airport and bickering with the check-in staff about letting your tyres down. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I guess if you’ve got kids in pushchairs or are tagging a bike trip onto a business trip or something like that it’d be very useful.

Sandwich

Why not just take it with you? Should cost less than £120.

What do the terms of carriage by Bag Solo say about guaranteed arrival? The airlines don’t guarantee to put your bike on your flight, just that it will get to your destination close to your original landing time.

If that £120 gets your bike to the chalet on the day you arrive that’s worth the money in my book. Plus the not dragging a bike bag/box around the terminal and getting it there.

geoffj

Looks interesting for ski gear too.

ebennett

Looks like you’d have to send it out a week beforehand to be sure it would arrive in time if you use the economy service, and would have to check with someone at the place you’re staying to make sure there would be someone in to receive it.

prawny

A mate of mine married a Canadian girl and before they moved in together they used to spend weeks together and used to fedex their stuff in advance to avoid carting 2 months worth of stuff with them.

But I suppose you’d need to have someone there to send it to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If that £120 gets your bike to the chalet on the day you arrive that’s worth the money in my book. Plus the not dragging a bike bag/box around the terminal and getting it there.

I think me and my bike fly too much but that’s a rip off! It’s a little awkward to move but that’s it.

mbnutter
    Free Member

OP what are your circumstances?

It is simple and reasonably cost effective to fly with your bike.

If several of you going then 3 people is the point at which it is better to drive.

As mentioned above, who do you know in Morzine that cares enough about you to ensure they take delivery and store the bike in a safe place.

Unless you have a set of circumstances where flying or driving simply don’t work then this is an expensive, other people dependent answer to a non existent problem.

Don’t worry too much about the flying bit.

32kg weight limit is ok, I normally get all my gear in the bike bag and a cabin bag.
    Pack it well, it’ll be ok.

Go ride, be happy.

When are you going? I am driving down and for a ton could ferry it for you, that’d keep me in Mutzig for a couple of days. ;-D

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I am driving down and for a ton could ferry it for you, that’d keep me in Mutzig for a couple of days. ;-D

Or more if you flog the bike.

On the ease with a proper bag I’ll be finishing riding about 230 Saturday, packing the bike in the car park, having a shower and checking in about 330. I’ll be riding Sunday morning too once you get the hang of it no worries.

pilgrimbob
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses.

The main issue with taking the bike with me on the flight is the logistics. It’s a family holiday so car to airport is full and I’d need to rent a larger vehicle in France. Hence we thinking I would rent when I’m over there.

I’m sure the chalet manager (who we met last year) would take delivery, but I’ll check in advance.

I’m happy with the £120 (Sleazy jet wanted £85).

I was hoping someone might be able say “yep, I’ve used them with no issues”

Cheers

Bob

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Triathletes use this kind of service all the time to ship their bikes to events.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – Member
    Triathletes use this kind of service all the time to ship their bikes to events

Yes but we all know about those sorts…

mick_r

You can road freight a solid sided pallet to Europe for about £80 each way – have actually considered if this could be an option for sending bikes on a group trip……

BigJohn

I guess if you’ve got kids in pushchairs or are tagging a bike trip onto a business trip or something like that it’d be very useful.

Would they feed the kids and change the nappies?

johnhe

I never even knew this facility existed. But I agree that it would save a huge amount of hassle in getting your bike from the arrival airport to where you’re staying. And save you hiring a larger car than necessary. At first sight, I thought it was rather expensive, but it’s starting to sound like good value for money. The big issue for me woudl be potentially having to have someone receive the bike at the destination before I get there.

mbnutter
    Free Member

Sounds like you get to be the guinea pig!

Look forward to hearing your findings.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

How much would a suitable hire bike cost? Centerparcs charge £30 for a Mon-Fri hire of an 8-speed mountain bike, I’ve never hired a bike anywhere else to date.

spooky_b329

We all told you to drive down months ago!

dudeofdoom

I luggage-muled a bike one way to Spain last year for around 100ish quid so 120 seems reasonable although I’d check the insurance cover no bike an just 50 quid compo.

I’d probably hire a bike rather than bother with it tbh, ended up doing a tad more road riding on a mtb than expected.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone sent their bike on holiday?’ is closed to new replies.