Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone sent a bike from uk to Alps?
  • ed34
    Free Member

Planning on going to the alps this summer, but will be flying then hire car.

As I’ll have wife and kids then there won’t be any room in car for a bike and no roof rack on hire car.

Has anyone ever sent a bike to the alps with a parcel service, if so any recommendations? Might work out too expensive but just thinking of options to get bike out there.

bruneep

post the kids, or hire a bigger car?

onandon
    Free Member

If you live in Hampshire you can drop it off with me. I’m moving to Geneva in early April so it can be moved with mine.
    The alps are pretty big so depends where you’re going 🙂

zilog6128

Luggage Mule has a specific bike shipping service which is e.g. £200 return to Morzine. Parcel Hero is supposed to be a bit cheaper but not bike-specific (i.e. you just box it up and sent it as you would any other parcel). (Not used either but have vaguely looked into this before!)

I’m sure when I looked into it a couple of years ago there were a few companies doing regular trips out to the Alps who would take your bike in their van for a reasonable fee but I couldn’t find any just now.

deadkenny
    Free Member

and no roof rack on hire car.

Sure you can’t ask for one? I know many hire companies will provide ski racks in mountain area. Would have thought they’d have bike racks as an option.

Also – is just driving the whole way not an option?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Pop on the Facebook locals site and find someone heading back to take it for fuel money?

oikeith

although you have probably thought of this, I think it might be cheaper to rent a bike when out there, it also would remove the need to care about wear and tear on your own bike!

beanum

Where in the Alps? If it’s Switzerland the Swiss railway company may transport it for you. They do it for skis in winter….

ctk
    Free Member

Boot mounted bike rack? hire when there seems easiest option.

mikedabear
    Free Member

although you have probably thought of this, I think it might be cheaper to rent a bike when out there, it also would remove the need to care about wear and tear on your own bike!

This is the way.
    Do you really want to trust someone else with your bike?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone sent a bike from uk to Alps?’ is closed to new replies.