Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone seen or done this before?
  • devs
    Free Member

Club ride tonight, blasting down the hill behind leader and never saw a big curly stick till it was too late. Waited for the pain in my shins but there was none just a few clatters. Anyways, at the bottom tried to change gear and couldn’t. The reason is below. I have stripped the outer but not the inner. If I could get the stick to do this to coax I’d make a fortune!

DSC00490

DSC00492

Aye it needs tidying up and stuff and there’s green algae but my house and estate are too large for me to attend to it all and I’ve got more important things like riding to do. 😀

giddyrob
    Free Member

Good effort!

get rid of that xt and replace with sram while your at it 😉

MOJOK
    Free Member

I had the very same thing happen with a sram mech/cable routed on the chainstay set up. The housing gets split when the mech. folds back. Probably never happened when the housing got a loop back there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    devs
    Free Member

Can’t bring myself to pay extra for SRAM when XT/SLX/LX does the job perfectly well. Had x7 stuff on my first mtb and liked it but I get whatever’s the best value. Hopefully superstar will start making mechs soon 😆

glenp
    Free Member

If that was SRAM the mech would probably have melted, being made of brie.

Shimano all the way.

ScotlandTheScared

Yup – I’ve done that before. The outers get brittle and when the curve is too much to cope with then strip along the lineation of the wires inside. Dont make the curve so tight next time and it should last for linger!

bent_udder
    Free Member

The wire wrap on outer is laid in the direction of compression, so it sometimes does this, especially if the plastic coating on the outside gets worn, or it gets a big fat smack from a stick. I’ve seen this on the shifter – frame outer a couple of times where the plastic coating is worn through by other cables, but not here. Good going!

shepleg
    Free Member

no not done that but have had it happen a few time at the shifter end metal ferrel on the end of the cable outer helps. Don’t get sram unless you got for the high end one, as the rest cause problems, seen it in the shop alot!

franki
    Free Member

I’ve done that once, yeeeeears ago at the shifter end when I had some Campag Centaur thumbies on. (They were massive and didn’t work.)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

glenp – Member
    If that was SRAM the mech would probably have melted, being made of brie.

I’ll have you know that my X0 mech is made of unpasteurised Pont l’Evecque.

MOJOK
    Free Member

Thing is, when I split the housing with the sram (x9) I could use most of the gears since the their 1:1 shifting isn’t so fussy as shimano’s.

devs
    Free Member

STS,

Its a shadow mech, there was next to no curve. You can see one now as the stick pulled the cable back as it stripped it. Fortunately I had enough slack to snip and reterminate without having to replace the full outer. Job done in 5 mins and out in the sun. Happy days.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone seen or done this before?’ is closed to new replies.