Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone seen any Espresso machines cheap?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

After my espresso machine dying, I’m after a new one.

I wanted a Gaggia Baby class twin, but its blooming expensive at the moment.

Does anyone know any shops doing sales at the moment? I’ve been on Amazon and eBay but not found anything that I like.

Cheers!

Ricks

kcal

Gaggia reconditioned or sometimes the Gaggia service repair man does ’em refurb. too.

saladdodger
    Free Member

by cheap buy twice

I have a gaggia classic still going after 7 years

But I have upgraded to a HX machine which is far superior to the classic but at x5 the price

RichPenny
    Free Member

Have you considered buying an ex commercial machine? Two of the coffee mentalists at work have done precisely this and were very happy.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Gaggia classic on amazon warehouse 145

TooTall
    Free Member

Gaggia Classic. Watch eBay for nice people who buy them, use them 6 times then put them at the back of the cupboard, then sell them on eBay.
    That’s how I got mine. Barely used it was.

MadBillMcMad

just get a Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker.

simple,cheap, no batterries required & makes perfect coffee.

johndoh
    Free Member

Here we go. Again.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps,

I’m not wanting to turn this into a debate about best way to make coffee. Espresso is one option, and the most expensive. It’s also my preffered.

Moka pots indeed do make good coffee, but not espresso.

I have two Bialettis, an Aeropress, two french presses, and a few mug press things, plus my espresso machine.

The Gaggia Classic is on my list, the warehouse deal looks a bit ambigious as to what condition the machine actually is in, and only has a 30 day warranty – although the parts are readily available…

I’ve also been looking at the Delonghi EC850, very good reviews, and is a semi-automatic for cappucinos and lattes – which would be handy in the morning for a quick cup.

I’ll set up some ebay alerts, and see if anyone got something unwanted for Xmas 🙂

Deveron53
    Free Member

just get a Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker.

simple,cheap, no batterries required & makes perfect coffee

I’ve got one of those, perfect with Lavazza. BUT I want an electric version, is such a thing available? At work, we aren’t allowed hotplates, just microwaves.

rickon
    Free Member

Get an Aeropress if you’re that limited, it makes a strong coffee like the Moka does, but isn’t as bitter.

All you need is a kettle.

TooTall
    Free Member

I had an electric moka pot (I lived in Italy, bought it there) and it was fine. However, Aeropress spanks it for ease of use and as a work-based good coffee maker.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Jut got an Aeropress and it makes much nicer coffee than my Gaggia ever did. Cheap and easy to clean too.

rickon
    Free Member

Jut got an Aeropress and it makes much nicer coffee than my Gaggia ever did

Blimey! Did you not have a burr grinder? Can’t imagine an Aeropress being better than a 15 bar espresso machine. There’s not enough pressure in the AP to get a good crema, and all the oils tend to stick to the rubber plunger, so it loses some of its flavour.

I suppose, like I said above – there’s many ways to make coffee, and everyone who likes coffee has their favorite, it’d be boring if we were all the same.

TooTall
    Free Member

Espresso =/= Aeropress.

Different beasties for different uses and different coffee. Saying that, the Aeropress really does seem to be able to make cheap coffee taste better – but it isn’t an espresso.

MrSmith
    Free Member

just wait for the right gaggia classic to come along. my folks got one with a damaged box for £125 before christmas and the phillips outlet does them now and again. dont go for an inferior machine as they will not have the reliability, spares availability or the chromed brass group head/portafilter of a classic.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Jut got an Aeropress and it makes much nicer coffee than my Gaggia ever did. Cheap and easy to clean too.

user error or you don’t like quality espresso, not the machine.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

user error or you don’t like quality espresso, not the machine.

Those statements usually end with, Fact!

Fact! 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers MrSmith, I’ve setup some searches on Ebay and am keeping my eye out.

Tvdeals is doing a Gaggia Baby for £159, but it’s white… which really really doesn’t go with any other kitchen stuff I have 🙁

Cougar

I want an electric version, is such a thing available?

Stayed in a B&B once that had one of these bad boys. Awesome bit of kit.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone seen any Espresso machines cheap?’ is closed to new replies.