Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Anyone seen a Cracked Yeti SB-66?! One here! Pics inside
  • wrecker
    Free Member

They dont hit the forums to state this though.

I think they do. Forums are full of people telling the world how much they love their bike. It’s only when there a multiple instances and when problems seem common that potential customers get twitchy.

. . .and there in lies the problem with forums.

Again, and with respect; I’m not entirely sure I agree. If a product has problems (and I’m not suggesting the SB66 has) then it’s only right that people tell others. Same thing if a product is brilliant. That’s why we all do so much research before we spend thousands of pounds on bicycles.

honourablegeorge

richiethesilverfish – Member

. . .and there in lies the problem with forums.

There must be, literally, thousands of those frames out being ridden day in day out by all sorts of people in all sorts of terrain with no issues what so ever.

Thousands of bikes from other brands out there too – but “Yeti” and “snapped chainstay” seems to be a recurring theme. Maybe my perception is wrong – as you say, people tend to highlight the bad, ahead of the good – but personally, I wouldn’t have a Yeti, and it’s mainly because of what seems to me to be a disproportionate number of those stories of people snapping chainstays, and snapping the replacement, and so on and so on.

wwaswas

richie – what’s considered an ‘acceptable’ failure rate on frames (as a percentage) that results in a warranty replacement?

These will be the ones with a manufacturing defect ,rather than wear and tear/abnormal use.

I’d expect it to be a vanishingly small number on a frame costing as much as an SB66.

It’s not only about how you react after the event, it’s also about the fact that the event happened in the first place.

jota180
    Free Member

I just wish people were as quick to comment when they’ve received good service. . .

I think people have here, in my case albeit with Evolution as the Yeti distributor

kiwijohn

A cursory look at the MTBR Yeti forum (which i’d have done before purchase anyway) has affected my decision more than this thread. The first page seems full of people with issues with their SB66s!

About 3 out of 40 threads by my count.
    & I love my 66. Yes, it did crack, but that was sorted quickly. Funnily enough, my last 2 FS bikes both cracked at the swingarm. Both sorted under warranty.

pinetree
    Free Member

I think it’d be interesting to have a thread in which everyone posts every time they go for a ride and don’t break their bike. I think this’d give us a fairly good idea of how many bikes actually break.

If you believe everything you read on STW it’s all a bit doom & gloom, and it looks like everyone who’s ever owned a yeti has broken it. This cannot be true. As has been already said, there’ll be thousands out there who ride regularly without incident.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

What were they, out of interest?

thedon
    Free Member

Canonndale and Lapierre? 😉

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

It’s just someone saying, “guys look at this” and “what do you think?”
    True but its already caused one forum member to say .. .
    This thread is well timed, I was looking closely at SB66’s.
    Knowing about the rubbish warranty would be enough, but they also have a tyre/seat tube interface issue!
    No thanks!
    When we’ve not even been contacted by the shop who sold it yet.
    My own personal view is that I’d rather not see us or Yeti getting panned for poor service if neither of us have even had the opportunity to speak to the shop about it let alone get involved but that wont cloud the decision.
    If its a warranty it gets replaced. If its not a warrnty it doesnt. If we’re frustrated at being unfairly bad mouthed on forums (which i’m not suggesting is happening here but does happen) we have to just soak that up and get on with it.
    I just wish people were as quick to comment when they’ve received good service. . .

Richie, I have not once commented on the service/warrenty from anyone. I wouldn’t as its not my place. It’s not even my frame. I just was interested to see if this a common thing or not (like 99% of the MK1 Spesh enduro swing arms broke) I am sure the Silverfish/Yeti will be great. The post was not to start a war, just to see what other community members had experienced with their frames.

Sorry if it has caused people to come out with their experiences (which some are bad) that wasn’t the intention. I will be sure to follow up when he has it sorted.

He did just text and tell me the chain stay will be replaced which is awesome, all you could ask for. So no worries on a bad experience. His has been all good so far (except it cracking on the first place)

So no worries. so far the service has been excellent

thanks

wrecker
    Free Member

About 3 out of 40 threads by my count.

Have you read them? More than 3 problems.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i personally take everything i read on STW forum with a pinch of salt, the usual suspects seem to plough on in with no experience of the company, warranty, frame etc….

to say that yeti frames are any worse than any other brand is a fairly ridiculuos statement, what about lapierre? i have heard terrible things from my lbs about their frames cracking and the warranty being less than helpful, but it doesnt seem to have put many people off buying them? i also done seem to recall many people on here having cracked lapierres, does that mean that it doesnt happen? of course it doesnt…if you saw a few orange fives cracked on a forum once in a while, do you think the other 1000’s of riders not on the forums have all cracked too?

frames crack, frames break, regardless of brand, sometimes it can just be pure luck, bad design or bad riding….sometimes none of the above affect it.

it wouldnt personally put me off a yeti if i truly loved the look/design/way it rode, as im sure given the chance, richie/silverfish/yeti would sort you out!

i can see where richies coming from, hes having to defend the brand before even having word from the lbs……i dont think for one minute the OP is trying to give yeti/silverfish bad press, it just seems the usual idiotic clowns of STW forum wade in with the usual sort of nonsense and drivvel the forums renound for..

i hope your mate gets it sorted and hopefully he will continue to enjoy his sb66 just like before it cracked

kiwijohn

Canonndale & Iron Horse

Have you read them? More than 3 problems.

Yes. Problems are brought up in other threads, but only about 3 are specifically about problems with the 66.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

richie – what’s considered an ‘acceptable’ failure rate on frames (as a percentage) that results in a warranty replacement?

I, genuinely, have absoulutely no idea. A design engineer would probably be better placed to answer that than me I’m afraid.

Thousands of bikes from other brands out there too – but “Yeti” and “snapped chainstay” seems to be a recurring theme.

I do wonder if a lot of the time it appears that there are more problems with Yeti/Silverfish than because I actually come on here and am happy to discuss. As a result the thread remains at the top of the page for longer and gets read more.

I dont want to stop commenting, I think I have in the past, (not often admittedly) helped to answer peoples queries but I’m still not 100% that it does a lot for us as a comnpany.
    You never find anyone from Spesh, Lapierre, Trek, Intense, Kona, Ibis, Commencal, Santa Cruz etc openly posting on here but we all know tht ALL bikes suffer failures.

duckman

Easy solution; bit of touch up paint and on pinkbike with it. It will still be one of the best frames there.

wrecker
    Free Member

it just seems the usual idiotic clowns of STW forum wade in with the usual sort of nonsense and drivvel the forums renound for..

Just what did your post add to the discussion?

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Like I said, service has been all good so far and my mate LOVED the bike. No complaints from him about the frame.

Once this is sorted he’ll be out doing 25h weeks on it again!

Cheers

thedon
    Free Member

Canonndale & Iron Horse

I got one right then.

kiwijohn

Fish in a barrel really.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

it just seems the usual idiotic clowns of STW forum wade in with the usual sort of nonsense and drivvel the forums renound for..

Just what did your post add to the discussion?

nothing really – pretty much like the rest of the thread?

the guy posted pictures – and instead of oooh nasty crack that, hope you get sorted, it turned into a ‘yeti are shit’ i wouldnt touch them with a bargepole type thread….

so i’ve added nothing to the thread, and the people that responded in the manner ive come to expect on this forum added absolutly nothing too

wrecker
    Free Member

thread? The whole website is like this 😀

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

too true wrecker, whatsapppppened to this place, its like mid-life-crisis-mayhem 🙁

time to just read-only i think 🙁

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

^^^ TBH, that’s what I was expecting…nice crack. I’m sure it will be sorted….never seen that before/my mate did that to his too. Etc etc.

I didn’t want to start any brand hate, that comes if the company fob you off! Ha ha

Thanks for the contributory posts

wrecker
    Free Member

*whispers* just join in, its okay after a bit. The ones about orange 5s are the easiest; just say they’re rubbish bikes and everyone starts shouting.

Roo
    Free Member

Well I only bought the Yeti because I heard it had a good reputation for warranties, especially as it was my first carbon experience.

However my experience was not a good one.

This was before Silverfish became the UK importers, so I dealt with Evolution first. Who told me

The nature of the tear and it’s a tear or shearing that’s taken place on a part of the frame who’s job is to support a rear mech and a wheel, there is no rearward pressure in normal use.
    These machined sections on that frame have been trashed for years and we have no other incidents of this kind of failure, the replaceable part always takes the hit and breaks first.

I couldn’t even convince them any obstacle the rear wheel hit would produce rearward pressure.

I then contacted Yeti warranty directly with no response, so then contacted Yeti complaints who told me my first email had been filtered by the spam filter. Yeti then told me bikes break. Great.

Hence been put off buying any other Yeti products, did like the bike though. Never tried to cliam warranty on any other bike, so maybe all companies are like this.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    Easy solution; bit of touch up paint and on pinkbike with it. It will still be one of the best frames there.

Failing that, just get Realman to sell it for you.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Anyone seen a Cracked Yeti SB-66?! One here! Pics inside’ is closed to new replies.