Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone scrapped a domestic copper hot water tank recently?
  • Harry_the_Spider

How much did you get for it?

maccruiskeen

No scrapped a tank, but have scrapped plenty of copper. Its worth around £1500/ton. But its only worth that if its ‘clean’ in the sense that anything not copper has been stripped off of it. You’ll get a much lower (but still quite attractive price) price if there is any other metal or plastics still attached

Liftman

Strip any insulation of it first before you take it to the scrappys

Harry_the_Spider

It is clean.

wors

i’ll give you 20 quid for it.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

liftman – doesn’t make any odds

got £25 for ours 2 summers ago

TheFlyingOx

Got £42 for one last year, and it was still covered in that insulating foam stuff.

Liftman

There are two rates for copper, clean an dirty, more money for clean copper.

ollie
    Free Member

I got £200 for the tank and a shed load of copper pipe after having a new boiler fitted earlier this year.

Edit: If I remember right I think It was about 57kg.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

As said up there /\
    take the insulation off before weighing it in.
    The new cylinders weigh 12kg each, the older ones weigh more (bigger and thicker copper used).
    We buy them in at around £4/kg so you should expect atleast £50.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Got £80 for a large tank the other week.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

ANy one know wheres a good place to sell to in the southampton area?

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

The only time I scrapped one was years ago, only had a loose insulation jacket on it. Cylinder weighed a ton, rubs hands together in expectation, took it to the local scrappy:-cue big hammer & tin snips-smack smack smack with the hammer-snip the top off, empty out the old limescale-instant 50% reduction in weight. Still got good cash for it though!

faint
    Free Member

cut the top off and use it as a plant pot, can use the coils inside to grow plants up as well

peasant
    Free Member

I phoned scrap yard other day £4400 ton clean copper and £3900 braized (solder on etc)

one_bad_mofo

Many years ago, when I was a student, I did a week on the bins (I needed the money). One house had a hot watr tank outside and the owners paid the grunts I was working with to take it way. Said grunts then laid the tank in the road and drove the bin wagon over it to flatten it so they could hide it in the cab before taking it to weigh it in at the local scrappy!

Bunnyhop

We’ve just got £100 for a back boiler which wasn’t copper, just metal (don’t know which type).

supertramp
    Free Member

now you know what it’s worth (around £4 per kilo?) take the bathroom scales outside, then you will know roughly what it’s worth.

totalshell

go the whole hog.. clean off the insulation and take off all the brass you ll get close to 5 a kilo. we sell our scrap in three styles clean pipe no fittings, copper with copper fittings, brazery ( copper and brass mix) and brass only plus of course general scrap ( rads pumps etc) this been the cheapest at about 155 a tonne.
    we used to chuck all our boilers in as general scrap but now get the apprentice to strip them down and a scrap boiler can easily fetch 30 quid that way as opposed to a tenner max otherwise.
    dont forget you need a licence to transport waste at 155 a year..

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight hi jack but how much is cast iron worth?? At my work we have about 2-3 tonnes of old obsolete cast iron die punches. I want the space but i have to make a good pitch to the boss to see if we can sell them. I have googled it but to no avail

maccruiskeen

Cast iron is more like 150 per ton

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Thanks!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone scrapped a domestic copper hot water tank recently?’ is closed to new replies.