Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone sacked off internal routing?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a second hand niner air 9 frame and it seems to me that in order to change cables I’ll have to keep removing the bottom bracket. I’m considering sacking it off and cable tying it to the external guide that runs down the down tube for the rear brake hose, then under the chainstay on the drive side.

Anyone done similar? other than asthertics is there any reason I shouldn’t do this?

matt_outandabout

I’m tempted, after only one set of cable replacement…

On the Radon you can at least remove an adaptor and run full cable outers, making replacement a doddle in future. Extra cable outer on order.

weeksy

Yeah but once I realised it wasn’t the cables rattling, I put it back to internal.

mintimperial

Yep, my last road bike had internal gear routing but the drag on the cables was unreal and affected the shifting, so I just ran full outers ziptied to the outside instead, worked much better.

mick_r

Yes – had to do it on lads Giant TCX cross bike. Even with really carefully fitted high quality new cables it was very draggy.

I think the main issue on that frame was enforced tight curves in the outer cable (it has full length outer cable that ran internally). Exactly the same cable but run externally with smoother curves is a massive improvement.

warpcow
    Free Member

Sort of. Never did the rear brake cos I didn’t have a bleed kit to hand and it’s stayed like that. The rest are there, were something of a pain to do first time, but I’d do them again. And seriously, “I’ll have to keep removing the bottom bracket”, how often do you plan on doing it? Do it, if it annoys you that much don’t bother with it next time you change cables.

jecca
    Free Member

an excuse for a new tool
    [video]https://youtu.be/9LDLdcsCGx8[/video]

finephilly
    Free Member

I did it which actually improved shifting cos I took a smoother route. Doesn’t look as good though.

simondbarnes

Just change cables every time you change the bottom bracket. Sorted.

sharkattack

I did. Both of my bikes have metal frames, threaded BB’s and external cables.

I know all the tricks for fitting internal cables but they’re still infuriating when you consider how fast and easy the alternative is. So much extra faf for no gain.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone sacked off internal routing?’ is closed to new replies.