Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anyone running super ghetto on road tyres
  • righty
    Free Member

I’ve been running super ghetto(old valve , gaffa tape and sealant) on 3 sets of mtb wheels with great success for the past few months but was wondering if anyone has done it on road wheels. Does it still seal as well when you have 120psi in the tyres? :mrgreen:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you can get roadie tubeless so i cant see why not,

n.b. following my advice is no gaurentee yoy wont end up in a bloody pulp

righty
    Free Member

😆 I know in theory you can, just has anyone done it 😀

jonwebb

Don’t try it with standard tyres. The tyre will pop off – guaranteed. Unless that is you use the Hutchinson road tubeless tyres, or the other manufacturers’ tubeless versions which are just starting to appear. You need a specially strengthened bead for road tubeless.

jon

Dougal
    Free Member

You’d need to use a Hutchinson Fusion 2 tyre, as it’s bead is strengthened to bear the extra load incurred. The bead on standard tyres will break at road pressures.

Ideally use Mavic Ksyrium or Shimano Dura-Ace wheels which have no spoke holes in the rim bed. A tubeless valve and you’ll be good to go.

righty
    Free Member

may be a don’t get it but if the bead doesnt break when using a tube why would it break when using tubeless

Stoner
    Free Member

what he ^ said?

aracer
    Free Member

I thought it was actually to do with the tyre blowing off the rim rather than the bead breaking – lack of stiffness rather than lack of strength in the bead. Not quite sure why it should be more of a problem without a tube, but I’ve seen enough anecdotal experience to suggest it’s a stupid thing to try – personally I’d be using a proper road tubeless rim as well as the correct tyre!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running super ghetto on road tyres’ is closed to new replies.