Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone running standard 142 hubs in a Spesh 142+ frame. Having casette issues…
  • lardman
    Free Member

I’m running a few different sets of Hope hubs/wheels in my enduro frame, and i’m finding it tricky to get the smallest cog on the cassette working properly.

Issue is:
    if i adjust the end stop screw in enough to stop the chain jumping off into the gap between the small cog and frame, it wont easily shift down into that gear. HOWEVER, if i back the screw off to let it drop down properly, it shifts just fine, but also jumps off the bottom cog again.

Cables, chain, cassette are new enough for it not to be them causing the issue. Mech hanger looks straight, although next step is to replace that.

Anyone else having these issues?

Tracey

We have four of the 142+ back ends. Two on Enduros and two on Stumpjumpers. One Enduro has run the Specialized Roval Traverse EL hub and is now running a Hope Pro2 the other had a Hope Pro2 and now has a Roval Traverse EL hub and is shortly to have a Superstar one. One Stumpjumper has an American Classic, did have a Pro2 for a short while and the other has now got the Rovals from the Enduro.
    Mixture of SRAM and XT cassettes and chains
    To answer your question every thing seems to run fine.

lardman
    Free Member

hmmm… thanks Tracey.

It’s an intermittent issue, so not something i’ve tried to sort with urgency.
    Good to know it’s not seemingly an endemic problem then.

I’m also running a Hope T-rex cog, and as such i’ve had to adjust out the screw on the mech to get the cage back enough. Maybe it’s this thats causing it. Are you running extender cogs of any sort?

Thanks again.

IA

How old’s the mech? And is it a SRAM one? If so, do you leave it in the smallest cog when in storage? If not the springs go baggy and cause what you describe, seen it on shimano too but more common on sram.

PJM1974
    Free Member

How old’s the mech? And is it a SRAM one?

This. There are some baggy SRAM X9 mechs around, I had this issue myself.

br
    Free Member

I’m also running a Hope T-rex cog, and as such i’ve had to adjust out the screw on the mech to get the cage back enough. Maybe it’s this thats causing it. Are you running extender cogs of any sort?

I found that the while it seem to work with the b-screw all the way out, actually using a longer b-screw made it work it better.

Tracey

Not running any extender cogs

lardman
    Free Member

Thanks for replies all….

I am running the longer (supplied) B-screw already.
    I certainly don’t have the planning/preparation to shift the mech down every time i store the bike.
    It’s a mid cage Zee mech, not even 1 year old.

I do have a spare new Zee mech, so i might replace and see if it disappears.

Silly Specialized eh!… as if all this faff was worth some perceived wheel dish benefit. Tsk.

dab

My 142+ hub failed last year and whilst Spesh were good enough to replace it with an upgraded DT Swiss hub
    it opened my eyes to how much pain non standard sizes cause when they go wrong

It’s all hope – shimano stuff for me now
    And next f/s will have standard sized kit

Mind you the rate standards are changing the 27.5 wheel and 142 hub will be yesterday’s
    Kit by next season

michaelbowden

My Stumpy 142+ has only ever run with a Hope Pro2 Evo. Never had any issues.

X9 and X0 mechs, but I do always change to lowest cog as it’s much easier getting the wheel in and out.

Tracey

Running an XX and X9 and two XTs. Just leave them in the same cog they were in at the end of the ride.

tomaso
    Free Member

I thought the 142+ referred only to the dishing of the wheel and where the freewheel sa. It is still a 142mm drop out and ordinary chainring, so it should work fine.
    My Enduro 29 works fine on the 10th sprocket with a Hope hub out back.

STATO
    Free Member

I’m also running a Hope T-rex cog, and as such i’ve had to adjust out the screw on the mech to get the cage back enough. Maybe it’s this thats causing it.

Bingo.

Also check your top jockey wheel is in good condition and your chain is not worn (as it will bend more easily, such as off a sprocket).

lardman
    Free Member

@tomaso
    Using a 142 standard hub in a 142+ frame would make the smallest of the cogs on the cassette about 3mm further inboard. This allows a gap which is just about chain sized, between last cog and drop-out.

@ stato
    Yep, i think this might be the most likely cause, as too much rearward positioning leaves the jockey wheel clear of the cog by quite a few mm.

Thanks all.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running standard 142 hubs in a Spesh 142+ frame. Having casette issues…’ is closed to new replies.