Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone running Shimano R785 discs in their road bike?
  • paulevans
    Free Member

I’m thinking of upgrading my disc road bike brakes from BB7’s to hydro r785s, but I recall reading somewhere that they rattle due to having little/no spring tension at the lever. Is this something that users are noticing? I ride in the Lakes and the road quality in places is dire and I’m thinking that a rattle from the brakes might drive me mad!

Any other comments on the R785s would be appreciated.

Ta!

Onzadog
    Free Member

You know the R785 is Di2 don’t you? R685 is mechanical shifting. Not that I have either.

paulevans
    Free Member

Yes OD, fully aware. I have Di2 fitted so no issues there.

Anyone running R785’s?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I know a couple of folk running them and no rattles as far as I know. One bloke I ride with is pretty obsessive about silent running on his “gravel racer” and would have had a strop if there had been any rattling.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’ve been using it on my Cross bike since the start of the season and it’s been brilliant, the braking is bang on but level can feel a little squidgy but the performance at the disc/pad is great. Regarding rattles I’ve not had anything at all but I do remember an article mentioning it early on but I also think that same article said that the test ones were pre production and the rattle would be sorted for production.

Do it, they’re great.

Shred
    Free Member

No problems noticed on my bike. I love the discs and Di2.

Rik
    Free Member

On a side note – has anybody spotted any complete groupsets yet for di2 hydro brakes?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

When are the 685’s going to be in the shops?

My 7800 STI’s died this morning, no clicks in the RH shifter and doesn’t seem to be pulling any cable :(. So it may be time to retire that bike for something newer. Thinking Chinese carbon frame and 5800/R685 groupset.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Not soon enough! It’s looking like December I think.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone know about repair or replacement of hydro master cylinders? Having trouble with xt brakes right now so a little weary.

njee20
    Free Member

You didn’t imagine the rattle claims op, from here:

One mildly irritating point is the tinny rattle caused by the lever head vibrating against the body of the hood when riding over rough surfaces with your hands on the tops. When riding on the hoods, your hands absorb the vibration and eliminate the problem. But unweighting the hoods, when road conditions are choppy, results in noticeable noise. The reason for this is that hydraulic road levers (both Shimano and SRAM) by design lack the cable tension inherent in mechanical systems, so there is nothing holding them tautly in place.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running Shimano R785 discs in their road bike?’ is closed to new replies.