Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone running Schwalbe Rock Razor on the front?
  • strike
    Free Member

Looking at getting a pair of these (27.5 X 2.35) and just wondering if anyone is running one of these as a front tyre? I know most people seem to be pairing them up with a something more knobbly on the front (such as Magic Mary), but most of my riding is dirt tracks/forest trails ie not rocks, so a Magic Mary on the front is complete overkill for me. I like the look of the Rock Razors as they look to be smooth rolling and also a good width/high volume in the 2.35 version.

Thanks-in-advance.

andymc06
    Free Member

They are all dead! 🙂

br
    Free Member

so a Magic Mary on the front is complete overkill for me.

I’m sure there are tyres between the two extremes…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    torsoinalake
    Free Member

Brendon Fairclough does apparently.

rocketman
    Free Member

A rock razor on the front?

wohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

colournoise

Run one on the back. Will only put one on the front when I’m truly tired of life.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can’t be any worse than a Small Block 8 can it?

funkrodent

It’s a good, fast tyre, but it does have a tendency to break grip quite suddenly – though it finds it again once the big side knobs come into play. Run it as the rear on my 29er hardtail and found this tendency somewhat unnerving until I got used to it. As said above you’d have to be nuts to run it on the front, if it goes suddenly the first you’ll know about it is when you’re already digesting dirt.

If you like Schwalbe then surely a Nobby Nic is the option on the front. Rolls well and has decent grip.

njee20
    Free Member

Like a Thunder Burt with more tread on the shoulders. Can’t be all that bad. That said, if I was on the sort of bike where I wanted a comparatively aggressive tyre (as opposed to lightweight XC tyres like the TB) then I’d want something more than a Rock Razor I reckon.

Big Racing Ralph?

SirHC

Only a lunatic would fit one to the front.

For general trail riding, Nobby Nic 2015 on the front and a Ron or Ralph on the rear would be a good option.

cnud
    Free Member

Well, contrary to all the ribbing we give him… My mate runs one on the front of his EX8 that also has the wrong travel forks and shock on. He’s not dead yet and annoyingly is by far the fastest in our riding group. Not sure what conditions the tyre will let go on but I’ve seen him push it hard at most trail centres up and down the country. Sensibly enough it doesn’t come out when we ride in the Peak.

medoramas
    Free Member

It looks pretty meaty comparing to my front Ikon… 🙄

bigjim

One of the wtb sponsored riders has been running the riddler front and rearto great success

Northwind

I think it could be pretty weird. On the back, I’ve had some dicey moments where I’ve run totally out of grip in the middle bit in a straight line, then leaned the bike and the knobs have bit in and the bike gets a bit highsidey. Not that much of an issue on the back and worth it for the hardpack speed combined with more mud grip than a normal fast tyre has, but if the front does the same thing it’d be orrible. I’d sooner have less grip but consistency I think

strike
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

I’m currently running a 2.25 Ralph(F)/2.25 Thunder Burt(R) combo on my 29er and that works perfect for the trails I ride. To me (and I may be wrong here as I haven’t compared in-the-flesh) the Razor Rock doesn’t look to far removed from the Ralph, hence why I was thinking it may be ok on the front.

Currently running Nics (Mk3) F/R and finding them a bit draggy.

jacksprogis
    Free Member

I know a sponsered shwalbe DH rider that does over winter.

beano68
    Free Member

Madness … I obviously run mine on the rear as its meant too and even after 6 months it still has the tendency to gives way without warning and having one on the front would be a&E time 😉

But I do love the RR its mint !

darrenspink
    Free Member

Good luck if you do, mines come off the rear (never mind front) for the winter.
    If I was riding just canals or simple singletrack I would do though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running Schwalbe Rock Razor on the front?’ is closed to new replies.