Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • Anyone running Exposure lights and like to comment on them?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

Saw them at the show and was impressed. I like the idea of cable-less front setup.

Thinking the Race or Toro, for general trail work.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Have you not been on STW for the past 3 years?!

MSP

I use a torro, preferred it to the daddy max, as I prefer a tighter beam.

TheBishop
    Free Member

I use a Race. Very good and great to be wire free.

BUT also look at the P7 lights on Deal extreme web site. OK they are from Hong Kong, no back up and I don’t know how long they will last. BUT they are really cheap and mine is really good (maybe better than my Race).

Foundry
    Free Member

I have the Enduro’s and can not fault them, I would not want anything that has a cable now.

chrisdb
    Free Member

I had a Maxx D on the bars and a Diablo on the head for Relentless. It was like having a portable sun. No faff with cables. Reliably. Good backup.

iainc

New Joystick is the best helmet light I have used for balance of weight and power and burn time. Good quality, but very expensive compared to all the torches

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Have you not been on STW for the past 3 years?!

Yesbutnobut …. not reading lights posts though 🙄

Bregante

I’ve had a maxx enduro for about 3 years. It gets used for daily commutes as well as off road night rides and is still looks and performs like it did when it first came out of the box. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

Jerome
    Free Member

Joystick here – faultless.
    Tried a few others at events and been similarly impressed.
    Will wait until my current setup dies before I upgrade.

digiphotoneil
    Free Member

Like ’em. Reliable, neat and sufficient brightness and burn times for good night riding. The “get you home” mode came in very handy during a recent 14 hour ride.

They have survived utterly abusive weather and performed well in minus conditions.

Have an Enduro, had a Joystick. Joysticks are very very neat little bits of kit and are pretty useful off the bike too. The bigger lights like the Enduro and Maxx-D have been useful to navigate by at night.

Coleman
    Free Member

Another can’t fault them here.
    Have been running 2 Enduro Maxx lights both 3 years old next month. Used every week for six months of the year, never missed a beat, and still exceed the 3hr stated run times.
    Not cheap, but cable free “all in a can” design is a real bonus for me.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

mine have been great too been running them last 18 months

I have a helmet mounted Joystick with a white eye (just because) and an Enduro Maxx2 on the bars.

As sais wire free sold it to me and the ability to use them as torch off the bike is brill.

Also customer support so far for me has been great, at Mayhem they fixed my helmet mount for free after I snapped it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Can I just ask (naively) what the issue is with cables and batteries?

Doesn’t worry me at all – powerful “all in one” units just seem to bulky to me.

I just leave my 601 on the bars (with almost 2000 lumens) and slip the battery unit off to recharge it – simple.

firestarter
    Free Member

Have had enduro enduro turbo and joystick now have a joystick maxx2 great lights and great customer service. Have a hope vision 4 on the bike now but only as I got it cheap if I were paying full whack I’d have gone for the exposure daddy. That said hope is great as is their customer service

RealMan
    Free Member

Got one of the older joysticks, had it for about 3 years now. Did have one problem with it, and it was over the warranty (and 2nd hand), but exposure still fixed it for me really quick and for free, and updated it to the newer switch. Its good enough to ride with on its own. I really like the look of the new ones though, with 300 lumens..

spokebloke
    Free Member

I would not want anything that has a cable now.

Um, your bike?

Don’t get the coke can on the bars thing myself.

RealMan
    Free Member

Don’t get the coke can on the bars thing myself.

It doesn’t exactly have any disadvantages, still lighter then a lot I think. Simpler to mount and dismount, easier to charge, more robust. Once you’ve tried it I don’t think you can go back.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Realman – I have an “all in one” light (Hope 1) and a newer separate battery and light one. I actually find the latter far easier to charge and the light could not be easier to mount – it just clicks on. More robust? Not sure TBH.

I don’t like massive light units – for one thing, if you crash, there’s a lot of light unit to batter yourself on.

And the new Sixpack looks like a dustbin/baked bean can.

My torch is all in one though (of course!) , more powerful than a joystick, arguably better made and cost almost half the price of the Exposure version. I don’t actually need a helmet mounted light as the 601 is so bright but if I do, the Lockblock secures it very well and cost £6.

I’m just not “getting” their pricey offerings.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Got a 2011 maxx d and a 2011 diablo, portable sun.

use them for road and MTB

A previous poster said that the toro was a tighter beam pattern, that may have been but Exposure confirmed that for 2011 the beam pattern on toro and maxx d is the same.

Love mine, very happy with the purchase.

there are some good 2010 deals out there, i have seen the joystick for £100

Get one (or two) you wont be dissapointed

xcstu
    Free Member

joystick on helmet and d maxx on bars… simply ace 🙂

6pack now looks tempting!

RealMan
    Free Member

if you crash, there’s a lot of light unit to batter yourself on.

Kidding, right?

Can’t comment on the hope lights, but exposure couldn’t be more simpler. Click on, click off. Plug in to charge.

And the new Sixpack looks like a dustbin/baked bean can.

I’ve never really liked the look of batteries hanging from stems or top tubes or whatever, it stops bikes looking clean and tidy. But its a light, you use it when its dark. Who cares what it looks like.

When you say torch are you talking about your hope one?

If you are, the hope is considerably heavier, bulkier, and less bright then the current joystick, and less battery life. And I’m assuming you have to take the batteries out to recharge them (and buy them).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Nope – Hope 1 can be helmet mounted but it’s too big really.

I mean a Fenix TK 11 R5 (with XPG LED).

Still no idea why “cableless” is favoured by some. My battery unit sits snugly under the bars and is pi55 easy to remove for charging.

RealMan
    Free Member

So that one is also less bright, heavier, and only has two modes? But yeah, it is cheaper.

I think no matter how hard you look all lights have one disadvantage or the other. Except for exposure.

Except for the price of course, you just have to decide if its worth it to you 😉

xcstu
    Free Member

Must say have had Hope lights and wouldn’t touch again 🙁

had a few off in enduro racing in the night and ripped the cable out of the back of the light leaving me to race the rest of the course without my main light…

exposure solved that problem 🙂 touch wood not had a problem yet!

hels
    Free Member

I tried a Diablo at D2D – not impressed as the mount failed and it swung around and blinded me, then couldn’t get it to sit back in properly. Had to bodge it with the neoguard thingy off my forks. Won’t be buying one of those. My Joystick however was a great buy and changed my life.

Sam

Ive not run with mine, though if you could find a way to fix it to your head without having to wear a helmet theyd be at least as great as they are on the bike.

gee
    Free Member

Hi

Team Salsa have used them since they first came out. I think they are superb. I currently have a 3 year old Enduro Maxx 3 LED and a Joystick for the commuter, plus a Maxx D and a Diabolo for MTB racing. I tries a 6 pack at D2D and it was unbelievably bright – probably overkill for most rides, unless you’re a 24hr soloist or do night rides over 3 hours. You can get 10hrs of light of the same quality as the Maxx-D out of one.

They are very durable – I’ve replaced the bracket and mounting shoe once on the 3 year old light but that’s it.

I they do ever go wrong, customer service is excellent. They are based in the south of the uk and deal quickly with returns and the like.

Highly recommended here.

GB

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

RM – 285 lumens, 2 modes is plenty, its light.

My main light is brighter than anything Exposure offers, probably better made and cost a lot less.

That’s why I don’t “get” Exposures stuff.

Dave
    Free Member

You need some sort of Orbital set up Sam.

Joystick here – great commuting light on its own, great helmet light offroad

RealMan
    Free Member

The joystick is 300 lumens…?

I don’t understand what you basing the probably better made on. Exposure is really great quality kit.

No flashing mode for commuting.

And its over 50% heavier? Its not much, but still.

mark381
    Free Member

I’ve had a 2011 Maxx D for approx 5 days and had three rides on it, had lumicycle lights before with cable to the batteries, and all I can say is that I think wire free is the way to go. The Maxx D is not that big either. I’m just waiting for my Diablo helmet light to come in.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The joystick is 300 lumens…?

I don’t understand what you basing the probably better made on. Exposure is really great quality kit.

No flashing mode for commuting.

And its over 50% heavier? Its not much, but still

They must have just updated it. It was 240 lumens.

As for quality, the TK series is short for “tank” and used by the cops and miltary. You’ll struggle to find better made…

Anyway, the main light is the most important thing..

RealMan
    Free Member

My joystick is my main light.

And yes, I think it got updated up to 300 lumens a few months ago.

iainc

c’mon Mat – read the posts you post on !

iainc – Member
    fair enough. I deliberated between them both and as I use it as a helmet light on the mtb (with a Hope 4 on the bars) and a bar light on the road, with my usual ride duration being 2-3 hrs I reckoned the new 300 lumens Joystick was best for my own circumstances. First outing last night and very impressed with it – a lot brighter than it’s predecessor and a better beam pattern

Posted 3 days ago #
    radirpok – Member
    You can read my review on mtbr:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7394423
    at the moment the site seems to be down, let’s hope they will fix it soon.

Posted 3 days ago # Report-Post
    Surf-Mat – Member
    Hmm – my Fenix TK11 lasts ages even in full 285 lumens and was under £50. It’s not some cheaply made job – the quality is amazing. Makes the Joystick look rather pricey.

With the new Luminous 601 I have, I genuinely don’t need a helmet light. Brought the torch (and lockblock) just in case last night (16 miles, 95% very very off road!) and simply didn’t need it.
    😆

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Race on the bar.
    Joystick on the lid !

QUALITY !

dyls

Bought a MaXx D around three weeks ago and very impreseed with it. My only complaint is that the gap from full power to medium power is too much, I’d like the medium setting to be a higher output even if it meant less running time. The reported 1200 lumens is very bright though.

Just sold a joystick which was excellent and awaiting a diablo which I’ll use on its own for local rides.

giantjason
    Free Member

enduro on the bar and joystick on the helmet.

brilliant lights and never let me down

yetiguy
    Free Member

Threads are always better with Pics

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevantlin/5073041384/]Screen shot 2010-10-11 at 21.25.42[/url] by kevantlin, on Flickr

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevantlin/5073044352/]Screen shot 2010-10-11 at 21.25.56[/url] by kevantlin, on Flickr

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevantlin/5073046896/]Screen shot 2010-10-11 at 21.26.05[/url] by kevantlin, on Flickr

2011 Maxx D and Diablo on full[u]

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevantlin/5073054302/][/url]Screen shot 2010-10-11 at 21.27.28 by kevantlin, on Flickr

thomthumb
    Free Member

Still no idea why “cableless” is favoured by some

most warranty issues in my group of mates are cable related

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running Exposure lights and like to comment on them?’ is closed to new replies.