Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone running Alfine hubs for trail riding?
  • timnwild

Love to know how you feel about doing the same stuff with less gears – does it take getting used to? Are they dead heavy on the back?

The idea of having no derailleur is sooo appealing…

ta

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I’m running an Alfine 11 speed on a Scandal hardtail and it is fine as far as range of gearing is concerned, 34t chainring and 18t sprocket for general riding or 32 x 20 when fully laden with camping gear on the Welsh Ride Thing or Pennine Bridleway trip I did in May. The initial jumping out of gear seems to have settled down and it only occasionally skips. Having it serviced ATM so hopefully it will be fine after this. BTW its fewer gears not less 😕

monkeyboyjc

I have an 11 on the MTB and an 8 on the commuter (which i’ve had for about 1000 miles longer).

i ran 1×9 prior to having the alfine on the mtb so didnt miss the spread of gears (it was an improvment over the 1×9 setup). i run 32 x 20 now as that seems to provide a similar spead to running a standard double ring (22,32 x 9speed).

it doesnt take any getting used to really, but i would try running your bike atleast without the big ring 1st.

As for being heavy on the back, yes it is, but imo the good points out weigh the bad. They do take a bit of setting up though – but once dialled in they stay pretty much maintainance free for a good 1000 miles or so.

thepodge
    Free Member

love mine, no issues with weight or only 8 gears

Saccades
    Free Member

this thread comes up a lot, check my post history for loads of alfine stuff…

Mackem

I’m running an 8, i love it. So nice to have reliable gears in all conditions. The range doesnt affect me too much, i dont tend to hoon along. Felt odd at first, bit like having a soft rear tyre, just stick bit of extra air in and away you go.

shinsplints

What Mackem said.
    I ran one on a Charge Duster for a year. Was a godsend in the winter round here (Shropshire). Did Dyfi Enduro & Dyfi winter warm up on it, Sleepless etc… & was fine.
    No longer with me as I sold the Duster but I’d have another. Have another 2 mates with them & they are also v positive.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running Alfine hubs for trail riding?’ is closed to new replies.