Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone running a XTR M980 HGX 10 Speed Chain??
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

how do these compare to xt ones? noticed they seem to have a seethrough inner plates (ie no centre piece of metal?)

they look pretty smart if nothing else, are they super super smooth, or not much improvemnet over a xt 10 speed?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Anybody?

njee20
    Free Member

Didn’t notice much difference between any of the chains I’ve used (XT, XTR, PC1090, X10SL). Tend to use X10SLs, can be had reasonably cheaply online, light, work as well as any other and come with a reusable link.

andyl
    Free Member

I can’t see it being any smoother. Maybe in your imagination to justify the cost.

njee20
    Free Member

They’re shinier, as they’ve got nickel plated outers (as have the PC1090 and X10SL), so they do look nicer than XT.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers just remembered i posted this!

hmmm well getting one from rose bikes with a 10 euro voucher code worked nicely! 23 quid delivered!

cheapest i can see in the uk is 40!

nathaneddy
    Free Member

I saw that deal in rose bikes too. . .
    so does this chain work with a 9 speed cassette?
    or alternatively does the new M985 cranks work ok with older chains?

sam_underhill

Mine shifts super smoothly. Shame that all the weight saving of hollow pins is negated when all gunked up! I’d take solid pins any day so the chain is easier to clean!

nathaneddy
    Free Member

are you running it with a 10 speed cassette?

sam_underhill

Mine is on an XTR 10 spd cassette.
    I’ve just checked and there’s only 15g difference between the XT and XTR versions. So by the time the XTR hollow pins are all full of mud they are probably about the same weight!

I’m getting an XT chain as a replacement. in fact to save me the bother of cleaning that muck out all winter, I might get one sooner rather than later.

LoCo
    Free Member

Will be running one of these when the 10 spd groupset arrives, but will probably replace with a SRAM or KMC when it breaks/wears, I seem to break Shimano chains quite easily for some reason 😕

nathaneddy
    Free Member

still can’t figure out if this chain is 9 speed compatible. . . probably is, but want to be sure.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep it’ll be fine – weight weenies have been running 10 speed chains on 9 speed for years.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

thanks njee

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running a XTR M980 HGX 10 Speed Chain??’ is closed to new replies.