• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Anyone running a Maxxis 2.4 High Roller 3c?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

It appears we’ve entered the three weeks of ‘Not Winter’. So I’m ditching my winter tyres for a Not Winter tyre.

Does anyone run the 2.4 version of the High Roller 2? In the 3c TR Exo type….

How does it compare to a minion DHF?

Cheers

Ricks

jwray

I got a bike like last year that came with them. I couldn’t get on with them on the front. Went back to a minion DHF which has been my choice for years now.

Hard to say what was different, but I just have way more cornering confidence with the minions. Could be just that I’m used to the minions but I gave the HR a good few rides. I’m running the HR as rears until they are done. Working ok on the back for me.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers Jwray, was that the 2.4 3c compound ones? I was thinking the slightly wider contact patch would have made them a bit more grippy than the DHF…

jwray

It was. Exo 3c TR for both. I prefer the narrower minion, although hiw much narrower it actually is I don’t know. Personally preference though, I know guys who prefer the HR.

Honestly, try it and see, but I wouldn’t expect a massive difference.

mboy
    Free Member

A LOT SLOWER… Lots of grip if you lean it over but a bit squirrelly in the middle still just like every HR2. But they’re like riding through treacle compared to a DHF, even the 2.5″ 3C version!

rickon
    Free Member

Damn. I dislike the ~2.3 Maxxis up front as it’s not 2.3. Schwalbe psychologically feel better at their 2.35.

mboy
    Free Member

Time for a bike with proper sized wheels again so you can run 2.5″ Minions! 😆

chiefgrooveguru

I know the HR2 2.4 comes from the same moulds as the dual ply version but I don’t think the carcass is any bigger than that of a 2.3 Minion / HR2, it just has much more sticky out side knobs.

To me it looks like a great intermediate conditions tyre, when it’s loose but not that muddy or when it’s dry but not that dusty. I guess I’d go like this with Maxxis front tyres, if I wanted the ideal tyre for anything from filth to hard to dust – Wet Scream, Shorty, HR2 2.4, DHR2 2.3, DHF 2.3, HR2 2.4, Shorty. As it is I use either a Shorty or a DHR2. Note the absence of HR2 2.3 in the list…

zero-cool
    Free Member

The GF and her brother are running them front and rear both like them but she still prefers a 2.5 Minion DHF (But she’s picky about her setup), it’s certainly not slowing her down. I’ve ridden them a few times and they’re pretty good. But I’ll always be a DHF front and rear man myself

Tom KP

br
    Free Member

I’ve run my 26″ FS with the HR since autumn last.

I felt it was a perfect front tyre for me – aged mincer across roots and rocks, never once did I feel that I didn’t have the grip. Paired up with a dual compound one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running a Maxxis 2.4 High Roller 3c?’ is closed to new replies.