Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone running a hope E4/X2 combo in one bike?
  • nixie

As in E4 front caliper and X2 rear?

Thinking if going this way to overcome some of the hassle if keeping a 4 pot caliper running sweetly on the back. From hope’s own brake chart power with an X2 on 180mm rotor would be between that you get with an E4 using a 160mm and 180mm.

So anyone have this combo? Does it work well? Is the feel similar across the two brakes (probably be using tech 3 levers)?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Considered it, but life is easier only having to stock one set of pads. 4 pots are no bother once set up properly.

nixie

Yeah the two pads is a down side. I find 4 pots have a tendency for sticky pistons on the back leading to uneven movement and rubbing/poor pad wear. Don’t get this in the front brake strangely (had the same issue over 3 sets of m4s).

Daffy

Yup, I run this combo on 2 bikes. Lighter, cheaper and more reliable. Similar power when you’re using 183mm front and rear.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Yep I run this combo too. No regrets, works great.

nixie

Sounds good :). Now braided or not (I know I don’t ‘need’ braided).

Daffy

I went a step further and chose Goodridge braided.

nixie

I’ve ordered standard. If the lack of braided is noticeable I’ll probably retrofit goodridge ones (which will look better on the bike in black anyway) or get plain braided hose and swap the fittings over.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hope happily admit that there’s no performance or feel difference with braided lines. Choose if you either love the look or think you might damage a hose in a crash.

Plus, I don’t think they’re a factory option on X2, they certainly didn’t used to be.

nixie

I’ve heard plenty of user feedback suggesting no difference but interesting that hope say the same. There is a factory option on the X2 now but for some reason the cost difference in the online shops is greater than for the E4.

You can buy the braided hose for £8 a meter and cash ride the fittings so would be cost neutral if I swapped at the first bleed.

nickc

Braided hoses are a bit if a PITA to fit mind, look good though.

nixie

They are yes. Had to do a fair few when I used to work in a shop. Cutting the plastic back is a pain!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running a hope E4/X2 combo in one bike?’ is closed to new replies.