Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone running a 30 mm crank in a PF41/BB92 frame with success?
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

Refering specifically to reasonable BB life.
    If so, what BB are you running?

dovebiker

I’d considered it for a custom-design frame but rejected it in favour of regular BSA threaded – you’re running a 30mm spindle inside a 41mm tube, meaning the whole bearing is 5.5mm thick and therefore rollers are going to be no bigger than about 3mm. To prolong life, pop the seal and repack with a decent waterproof grease e.g. marine grease. Even better, stop the BB getting sprayed with manky water – downtube guard that extends to the BB shell and another behind the seattube.

lawman91

Ran that setup on my old Foxy Carbon. The simple answer is, don’t. Absolutely useless. Creaked all the time, bearing life was awful and was constantly concerned I was damaging a very expensive frame & crankset. Avoid!

blastit
    Free Member

just looking a changing my Race Face BB92 new bike in July getting a bit rumbly now , Thinking of going Hope pf41 !! any feedback ???

paulmarshall

Ibis Ripley run this setup as standard, and the original bearings lasted less than a year. I replaced that with an Enduro ceramic BB, which has been brilliant and 2 1/2 years later is still smooth and free running. Very dear replacement but has proved its worth.

speccyguy
    Free Member

Praxis make a nice thread-together bracket which is working well for me.

mboy
    Free Member

Hope or Praxis

Both work well, though as you might expect, not as well as a bigger bearing would.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Mondraker Foxy XR for me

Ran the Hope 30mm cranks with the Hope press fit bb for just over 2 yrs. Had to change about a month ago and was forced to choose a random one made by Rotor as was in France and in desperate need before a race. One of those; took the old one out, shit its disintegrated, better find one that fits ASAP! haha

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Also, never creaked for a looooong time and i didn’t apply any grease on installation. New one creaks like an old mother hubbard … and I greased it big time.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Over the long game the Chris King BB with grease injection tool would sting me £200 but is guaranteed for 5 years. But £200 for a BB is a hard pill to swallow.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

RF Six6 on a BB92 Cube

I think it’s a currently a Rotor BB in there, which has been fine. I remove the cranks every now and again and clean it all and regrease, but that’s mainly so I don’t wear the SixC axle.

Before that it was Hope one, which was visually identical to the Rotor, and lasted okay, but nothing special.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running a 30 mm crank in a PF41/BB92 frame with success?’ is closed to new replies.