Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone run MTB rapidfire shifter on a drop bar roadbike?
  • findo_gask
    Free Member

I run a 1×10 commuter but the drivetrain has finally had it after a few winters of grime and salt.

New bargain back wheel (rim was almost see-through too) has a shimano freehub so I’ll be switching away from campag. Better availability of cheap kit I reckoned.

I think I might have an old rapidfire pod in the garage – would I be mad to try using that? Sti levers are well pricey and a bit over engineered for this ratbike. Fancied a bar end shifter but even these seem surprisingly pricey considering their relative simplicity.

Anyone done this? Is it a pain in the ‘arris?

Can I run an MTB lever with a road mech and cassette?

simondbarnes

You’ll need a 10spd mtb mech. Cassette will be fine.

scaredypants

sdb, why ? The RF must be old and so “old pull”, won’t it ?

EDIT – I take that all back 😳

jimc101
    Free Member

For the Rapidfire+ pod, how do you intend to fit it, given that a MTB handlebar has a diameter of 22.2mm and drop bars are 23.8mm, and that’s only upto the point where the STI’s attach.

1981miked
    Free Member

No relevance to your question.. Just wondering if you are actually from Findo-Gask?

oldnpastit

I like my bar end shifters. They seem able to shrug off no end of rain, and are not that expensive.

paule
    Free Member

Not sure if it’d work for you, but apparently campagnolo 10 speed shifters index nicely with shimano 9 speed gears if you clamp the cable differently. Obviously only much use if you’ve lots of 9 speed stuff knocking about…

Looking at running this setup on my CX bike, think the info is on the CTC site called “shimergo”.

sheeps

Yes… I’m running a Alfine shifter on drop bars. I reamed out the clamp to fit the wider bars and it works well, although it does mean the top bar is a little cramped.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

run it as a flat bar – much simpler.

As said, MTB pods are the wrong diameter for road bars

I run campagnolo 10 speed shifters with shimano derailleurs. It works fine. Ideally you are best to run 10 speed shifters with 8 speed cassettes or 11 speed shifters with 9 speed derailleur.

dragon
    Free Member

There is loads of info on internet on running a Campag / Shimano mix. It actually works fine if you get it right.

back2basics
    Free Member

those thumbies thingies ? they take 10 or 9 speed indexed shifters.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run MTB rapidfire shifter on a drop bar roadbike?’ is closed to new replies.