Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone run an Alfine on a full suss? (pics please). Plus 11 Speed Alfine ratio Q
  • ross980
    Free Member

As above. Is it possible? Are there any issues with the chain length/tensioner? How has it affected the rear suspension/handling? Would you recommend it?

I'm toying with the idea of getting an 11 speed Alfine and putting it on my old Stumpjumper, mainly from a reduced maintenance point of view. This has probably been asked before but does anyone know what the ratios are like on the new 11 speed Alfine (in layman's terms if possible i.e. compared to a 'normal' 27 speed set up). I'm not bothered about losing the 'big ring' gears, but I'd want something low enough to manage steep climbs and high enough to not spin out on fast flowy singletrack…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Go 1×9 Ross. Its mint.

(Yes, I'm still very bored at work)

bristolbiker
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/alfine-11spd-set-up

The ratios are here – really up to you how you use them based on what ring/sprocket you choose. Look at what ratios you use now (and what you don't) for you're typical riding and then work out how best to cover that with the available spread.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes it's possible but you have to run a sprung tensioner to adjust for chain length change through the travel (unless you have a single pivot round the BB design frame – eg Kona A).

Alfine 11 has a 409% range so if you set it up with an equivalent lowest gear to 22(chainring)x32(rear sprocket) (0.69) the the top gear would be 4.09 times that = 2.82 = 44×15.6 eg somewhere between 15 and 16t sprockets.

packer
    Free Member

There are lots of photos of full-sus alfines in this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=449329

drofluf
    Free Member

I found these on a google search:

Gear Ratio
    11 2.153
    10 1.888
    9 1.667
    8 1.462
    7 1.292
    6 1.134
    5 0.995
    4 0.878
    3 0.770
    2 0.681
    1 0.527

captain_bastard
    Free Member

key to any suspension is to keep the un-sprung weight as low as possible – using an alfine is going to add a stack of weight exactly where you don't want it

having said that, i don't know how it would actually effect things – some suspension boffin will no-doubt be along to illuminate

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run an Alfine on a full suss? (pics please). Plus 11 Speed Alfine ratio Q’ is closed to new replies.