Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone run a trance x with an angleset?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Had a trance X and whilst it was great up hill i didn’t like the nervy feeling down hill (had come from a 67 degree prophet and a 66.5 degree ragley).

Does anyone run one with a angleset/works headset etc? i know you can use longer forks (which i did) but they lift the bb 🙁

rob-jackson
    Free Member

no-one?

GW
    Free Member

i didn’t like the nervy feeling down hill (had come from a 67 degree prophet and a 66.5 degree ragley).

😆

seriously?

it’s not the bike

rob-jackson
    Free Member

seriously – yes
    the trance x is dead steep! course its the bike as on a one with a slack HA i am fine

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ignore GW rob, he’s a bit of a jeb end with stuff like this.

I reckon it’d ride pretty well, not my cup of tea as I think I’d prefer it how it comes (a bit more lively), but I can’t see a degree or two off the head angle doing any harm, it’d end up at 67.5 at the slackest, which is still not bad for most riding.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

agreed re GW – is he a normal person or “special”?

As you know the old trance i had (Not wishing to sound like Hora) was my favourite ever bike!!

_tom_
    Free Member

69.5 degrees is alright, I’ve started riding dh again on my Trailstar that has a 71deg head angle when sagged and it’s fine. Mtfu etc maybe required 😛

GW
    Free Member

As someone who happily rides plenty mtbs with H/As ranging from 63 to 71deg down exactly the same steepnesses off road I’d say the “nervy” feeling is far more in your head than the bikes 😉

I realise that’s not what you want to hear tho so go ahead and slacken it out by a whole degree and go shred the gnar fearlessly.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

wow – 4 responses of varying help, but none answering the question..

robhughes
    Free Member

Run my (08)Trance X with pikes and love it.It,s great on rocky steep bits and never unnerves me.It,s just about perfect.
    I,m always amazed just how hard you can thrash these little frames and get away with it.Pikes just suit them down to the ground.
    I havn,t answered you either CH. 😉

GW
    Free Member

I’ve recently fitted an angleset to my Trance X. Wow! What a transformation!! it was a truely awful bike before but now it’s absolutely perfect for everything from racing wet WCs at Champery to popping out to the shops for fags.I’m now selling my DH bikes, my XC bikes, my DJ bike and my commuter..

better?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

gw how hard do you try?

robhughes
    Free Member

I did look into this bud but i don,t think you can get the cup to sit in far enough into the head tube.
    As you know it,s not a strait 44mm but recessed about 10mm.
    I was only after fitting a tapered fork.
    I gave up in the end but i may be wrong.

GW
    Free Member

go hard or go home I say 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

is that what you boyfriend says?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

rob – i had forgotten about that foible! cheers

GW
    Free Member

well.. it’s what your boyfriend said (does that count?)

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I think the Works Components ones insert 9mm.

aluhrs
    Free Member

Nope, run 140mm forks don’t know the exact angle but feels just perfect for me any less angle wold be too much.

robhughes
    Free Member

You two having a personal war. 😆

GW
    Free Member

more of a swingers party now 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

Your only right there TroutWrestler.
    GW hahahahahaha

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

FWIW my wife runs Pikes on a Trance X and gets on fine.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve been running my trance x with three inch forks due to a cockup in the -ve air chamber, only realised as they looked a bit short.

Managed to climb and descend mam tor & hollins cross without any issue. Would have happily left then there too if I’d not found my tape measure

Angle sets are the emperor’s new clothes.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Could always get offset bushes?

simonm
    Free Member

whats wrong with the Gomad Rob ?

raisinhat
    Free Member

Don’t offset bushes adjust the geometry in other ways as well? Lower bottom bracket etc. Might be worth looking into though.

thepodge
    Free Member

Lower BB on a trance x would not be good, its already quite low. Your cranks wouldnt thank you for it

Houns

I’ve had one FS bike for the last 7 years Rob. In that time how many bikes/frames you had? 😀

Serious question, you’re obviously looking for something, what is it? Or will you never be happy with any bike you have?

kudos100
    Free Member

Is Cruzheckler the new hora? 😛

jam-bo

I’ve had one FS bike for the last 7 years Rob.

but how many times have you ridden it…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

houns – in those 7 years you have had **** knows how many pairs of oakleys, whats the difference? re bikes – as jambo says, when do you ride yours? i ride mine a minimum of 3 times per week!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

oh and last seven years:
    Giant trance
    Dialled PA
    Cannondale Prophet
    Giant trance x (size medium)
    Giant trance x (size large)
    Ragley Mmmbop
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Santa Cruz Nomad

Houns

Not having a dig (or more alarmingly, not taking the pee), just a genuine question…what are all those bikes missing?

rOcKeTdOg

jam bo – Member

I’ve had one FS bike for the last 7 years Rob.

but how many times have you ridden it…

*chuckles* you were wide open there Houns

rob-jackson
    Free Member

right if i were to have a perfect bike it would be:
    120-130mm rear travel
    120-140mm front travel
    67.5 head angle
    73 seat angle
    22.5-23″ top tube
    30.9 seat tube
    built up to around 28-29lb
    rp23 or dhx5 coil
    link actuated single pivot or vpp
    1.5″ head tube
    120mm headtube (max)
    73mm bb

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Or a Tallboy LT (in my dreams)

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Just built up a Giant Trance X with 130mm Sektors, unsagged it has a 67 degree headangle, and 13.3 inch bottom bracket. So once sagged it’ll be a little bit slacker and probably just under 13 inches at the bottom bracket. How does that compare to your Prophet?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i am sure that you are incorrect on your measurement of that HA as it is on the giant website with a 69.5 HA

unsagged the prophet was 66.5 HA

surely if you sit on the bike it will shorten the fork length making the HA steeper?

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Giant website is with a Fox, which has a shorter axle-crown height for the same travel as rockshox, and also with 125mm travel. Also they quote the same head angle for a models with 125mm and 140mm forks on, so there is clearly something wrong with their measurements. I’m pretty sure mine is right.

Sag 33% into rear travel and only 25% into front travel, back end drops more, bike gets slacker.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run a trance x with an angleset?’ is closed to new replies.