Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone run a Pompetamine as a fixed gear?
  • ourmaninthenorth

Am going through idle thoughts on lashing together a combo road fixed/singlespeed CX.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

cp

Interesting thought. What would you use to provide the 135 OLD disc compatible fixed hub?

FWIW I’ve just built a MK1 Kaffenback as a singlespeed winter road/CX bike and it’s great 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

I *think* surly do just the hub – 135mm, 6 bolt, threaded for sprocket and lockring.

I already own a cross bike for racing*, and a road bike for riding around on (and an MTB I don;t ride). I guess I just fancied something fixed for local road riding (it’s pan flat) and what little off road there is locally (mainly cheek that doesn’t warrant a MTB).

*It’s racing in that I have a number attached. My competition is usually to avoid being last….

theflatboy
    Free Member

i wanted to, but couldn’t find a suitable hub when i was doing the build. ended up getting a WTB Laser Disc (i think that’s what it’s called).

Surly do indeed do a suitable hub, and i am considering making the switch. haven’t decided yet.

cp

I already own a cross bike for racing*, and a road bike for riding around on

me too. Since I built the ‘kaff up a few weeks ago, it’s my most-used bike 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Not what I need to hear, CP! I’m already trying to get one of my serial bike builder/swapper friends to talk me out of it.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Asked a similar thing a while back- http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-hub

Not had a chance to give it a go, but ‘Plan A’ was to get a fixed converter for an existing cassette hub, give it a go like that first and then go from there…..

ourmaninthenorth

but ‘Plan A’ was to get a fixed converter for my existing cassette hubs

Ooh. That’s a good idea. For the SSCX part I was thinking of slapping a BMX freewheel on, but this would work just as well and give me more hub options.

This has all come about mainly because I want to teach myself to build wheels and that’s always a justification for another bike, right?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Just use a Velosolo 6 bolt fixed sprocket on the disc mount

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Doable, but not neat – and overall the same price as a fixed converter – if all your casette hubs are centrelock….

theflatboy
    Free Member

umop3pisdn – Member

though unless i’m being particularly dim, does that not prevent you from running a disc brake on the back and hence negate the point of having a pompetamine in the first place?

ourmaninthenorth

Not quite what I wanted – in effect, my random thoughts (about a bike I don;t own), are just the same as bristolbiker’s.

Interestingly, in bristolbiker’s thread, there’s reference to the debate about whether a lockring is needed – I used to ride on the track, and never used a lockring. I once pulled the wheel forward in the trackend (not too strong, just not tight enough), jamming the tyre against the frame and promptly unwinding the sprocket.

Managed to keep it upright and skid down to the track centre. Was rather brown trousers though..!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

though unless i’m being particularly dim, does that not prevent you from running a disc brake on the back and hence negate the point of having a pompetamine in the first place?

Kind of – yes it’s disc-only, but a fixed gear counts as a braking mechanism so it’s not a deal-breaker. I think I’ll be a pansy and want a brake as well….

ourmaninthenorth

does that not prevent you from running a disc brake on the back and hence negate the point of having a pompetamine in the first place

I think you’re right.

EDIT – I think the idea of being able to zap on a BMX freewheel for offroad silliness is what I have in mind, so retaining the disc brake would be preferred.

miketually
    Free Member

With a disk on the front and the fixed wheel, do you really need a third brake? I don’t bother with a brake on my off-road fixietwat bike.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run a Pompetamine as a fixed gear?’ is closed to new replies.