Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone run a petrol Accord?
  • davosaurusrex

Following on from various other threads I’m thinking of going subcontracting in the new year. This will mean giving up my Zafira tourer company car and I’m thinking of a 2k max petrol estate. I had an 04 CDTi Accord tourer which I loved but at 2k or less I’d rather a non turbo petrol and take the hit on tax and mpg. So anyone had the 2.0 or 2.4 Accords that can offer any feedback? The electric tailgate motor on mine failed twice which wasn’t a cheap fix so I’m open to other suggestions, Mazda 6 maybe? Not keen on the Avensis as they’re too boring to drive, needs to be at least mildly entertaining or I’ll get bored and want to change it which is defeating the purpose somewhat. Cheers now.

isitafox
    Free Member

Funnily enough my cousin had a 2.0 Accord (which ran upto about 125k before selling) and he moved onto a Mazda 6 (not sure what engine but could have been 2.5ish). The Accord was great, obviously a bit pricey to run but it held up well especially given the fact his missus absolutely hammered it over pothole and speed hump ridden roads daily on the commute to work. He said the Mazda was ok but the gearbox died on holiday this year just gone and dumped all its oil out and killed the clutch so cost an arm and a leg to sort. If it were me I’d go with the 2.0 Honda (had a 2.0 CRV myself which I loved other than the cam chain going on it).

core

+1, got a focus I need rid of quickly, don’t want a diesel, but want something reliable, that can take a bike in the back easily, half rugged/decent ground clearance. £3k max for me……

tonyg2003

I’ve had two previous type VII diesel Accord Tourers and we’ve had our Type VIII 2.4 petrol auto Accord Tourer for nearly 6 years / 60k. In which time it has had a new battery and normal servicing, that’s all. Everything else works fine. It does local trips and trips once every couple of weeks from Surrey to South Wales. Around 30mpg in mixed driving. Not had a problem with the tailgate but we always use the key fob rather than push it.

jeffl

Used to have a diesel Accord Tourer. Loved it to bits but company car meant it had to go 🙁

I believe the real world MPG of the 2.4 petrol is similar to the 2.0 petrol. I think the argument is you’re not ragging it all the time to get anywhere, unlike the 2 litre. So the only real cost is gonna be in the extra road tax, VED whatever you want to call it. I have no idea what the difference is. However if you’re buying at 2k then you probably won’t lose much if you sell it in a year. Oh also try and go for a facelift, 06 plate onwards, as that has the 6 speed gearbox.

davosaurusrex

Good info, thanks.

Tony – what’s the auto box like? I heard it was a bit crude on the earlier ones but not sure when it was updated (if at all). Probably something else to go wrong but it does appeal for sitting in jams which seems to be all too often these days……
    Would prefer the 2.4 just for the extra torque being used to driving diesels.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I had a 54 2l petrol. Great bike lugger. Reasonable MPG on runs, no issues over ownership (pads, battery and drop links I think). Tailgate on mine stopped but a reset (unplug the battery) fixed it.

jeffl

Yeah trick with the tailgate seems to be to exercise the electric opening and closing on a regular basis.

tonyg2003

The auto box is fine. 5 speed. Not as sophisticated as some German ones but pretty smooth and has paddles if you want to change gear to ring 7800 rpm out of the engine (not really the sort of car for it). We haven’t had any issues with the auto and over on the Honda Forums it’s not mentioned as an issue. The 2.4 still needs some revs to get going quicker but it does rev nicely. The Honda has about 190lb/ft (if I remember correctly) and my other diesel auto has 470lb/ft but I’m still happy driving the Honda.

butcher

The Vtecs are not torquey engines. I haver an older Civic and you’d be forgiven for thinking it has half the power it’s got, unless you take it past 5k revs….comes to life about 6k! There’s lots of dropping gears when climbing hills/overtaking. I suspect the Accords are the same?

I’ve been looking at them myself, so I’m interested in the opinions on them too, and the engines are one of the things I was wondering about. Because they pack a decent enough amount of power, but do they feel quick, in general? Wouldn’t mind a bit of poke.

Heard the tailgate is a common fault on them, but they’re otherwise pretty bombproof.

Edric64
    Free Member

My old vtec Accord from 2001 has bugger all power below 4500 revs then it takes off but uses lots of fuel

breadcrumb

I’ve got a 53 plate Accord Tourer, 2.0 manual.

It’s okay on fuel, nice car to drive though. I think the facelift got a 6 speed box.

I might be changing cars next spring, had this a couple of years by then and I’ve got an itch for a BMW with 6 cylinders that I would like to scratch.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run a petrol Accord?’ is closed to new replies.