Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone run a 28/29t with a Middleburn UNO/DUO on a 29er?
  • si-wilson
    Free Member

I’m going 1×10 on my Solaris and want to use Middleburn crank arms. Would rather use a 28/29/30t front ring, has anyone done this with Middleburn arms?

letmetalktomark

I run a 29t on my Fortitude.

I used the inner ring of a Duo set up.

Std square taper RS8 cranks

mick_r

I emailled Middleburn about this last summer and (as usual) got no reply.

Converted my ss 29er to 1 x 7 (max I could fit on a Hope ss rear hub) for Austria last summer and a smaller Uno ring would have been a help.

We’re both exhibiting at the Bespoked show in April so was planning to try and have a chat with them.

bedmaker

I also emailed them about this, looking for a 28/29 uno as lots of 29er riders want a smaller ring for 1×10.

I got a reply saying they were planning to make a smaller uno to fit their external BB cranks but no plans for anything for RS7/8 Square taper.

Shame as it would appear there is demand for it – well about three of us anyway 🙂

tazzymtb

Si- i know some chaps who can make you one with an uno direct mount in whatever size you want. If there is a market for it I’m sure they will do a batch and sell them via their website. let me know what you want and I’ll drop their contact details.

mick_r

That sounds interesting….

Taz – I presume this is the place that did the wobblyrings?

Any replacement Uno ring also needs to be shaped so it is deeply dished all around / avoid needing the recess for the crank arm. That way, the ring can be rotated on the splines so that miserly singlespeeders can use up the 50% of the ring that never gets worn 🙂

si-wilson
    Free Member

Tazzy, drop me a mail at simon at progressive-bikes . co . uk

heihei

Have also emailed Middleburn twice but also no answer! Would def be interested.

Instead have been running SRAM XO cranks with a 28T bling-ring to great effect.

Andy-R

I’m using a 28T HBC chainring on RS7 cranks. Nice chainrings but I don’t suppose I’ll be able to get another…
    And yes, like mick r said, if the dishing was a bit deeper so that they could be rotated would be ideal.

andyjradcliffe(at)manx(dot)net

doof_doof
    Free Member

I’m using a 29t Duo ring on RS7’s, works great. Looks like there are a number of companies jumping on the bandwagon now.

bedmaker

Tazzy I’d be interesred in that aswell. Email in profile. Cheers

si-wilson
    Free Member

Tazzy, did you email me?

tazzymtb

not yet Si, will have a chat with the chaps tomorrow and email the details for you.

I can find out how the titanium wonky rings are doing at the same time 😀

si-wilson
    Free Member

tazzy, cool. Let me know, I’m interested in buying a batch of 28/29t uno rings.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Ooooh – I would be interest also. 32t UNO at the moment, 29t and I would stay more in the middle of the range on my cassette.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Tazzy, any news my good man?

julioflo
    Free Member

Gents, can I just say this thread is awesome and why forums should exist – To solve problems and in some ways innovate. Innovation starts at the fringes, by solving problems. That is all.

mattbee

I’d grab a 29t UNO ring too.

tazzymtb

Si- have spoken to the CNC wizzards and you need to contact Kev@betd.co.uk, take my name in vain and he’ll get some stuff sorted for you. I think they are back making rings in a couple of weeks. He’s been testing a freaky ring that “holds” the chain so you can run a 1 x 10 without a chain device and it won’t drop. apparently very good indeedy.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Nice one Tazzy man! Thanks for the introduction 🙂

heihei

Awesome. Email sent to Kev.

happybiker
    Free Member

This sounds promising, I emailed Kev too. Ive been calling and emailing Middleburn about the terrible shifting and chainline on my x type cranks and they keep saying they will look into it. Absolutely no help!

si-wilson
    Free Member

My UNO with 30T chain ring turned up today. Looks lovely.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Have gone with a Middleburn compact drive spider and a 30t chainring – bike feels transformed. Can run as a double if needed with the 20t chaingring bought at the same time don’t think i will need it. Come on Matt – 30t UNOs for square taper cranks.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run a 28/29t with a Middleburn UNO/DUO on a 29er?’ is closed to new replies.